well how many guys are working on truck based hot rods?

Re: well how many guys are working on truck based hot rods?

Postby Indycars » June 7th, 2012, 7:11 am

Very nice 406Shark! What kind of times did you turn???
Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby 406shark » June 7th, 2012, 9:06 am

Indycars wrote:Very nice 406Shark! What kind of times did you turn???

Thanks...

During T&T I was running in the 10.40's.

We were running brackets, so I dialed in at a 10.50 cause the track was not in the best condition. They had a diesel drag race the night before. The track was pretty slick compared to past trips down there. Not to mention it was extremely hot... in the 90's. My 60' times were a little over a tenth slow, even after adjusting the suspension to compensate. My truck tends to be pretty consistent. I was pulling the front tires while spinning the slicks... they would carry out about 6-10 foot, then the slicks would spin enough to drop the nose, then the front would start to come up again, then spin and drop the nose and go down the track. Definitely not the quickest way down the track. I've got some work to do on my rear suspension.

Jeff
406shark

Postby 2Loose » June 9th, 2012, 1:54 pm

Indycars wrote:I Love Red !

Is the flat red on the wheels any easier or harder to take care of than glossy paint ?

Hi Rick,
Sorry I missed your comment until just now....

There were a few small "runs" in the wheel paint so I just sanded 'em smooth and left it "flat" looking. I kinda like the contrast with the gloss on the truck. No difference that I can see on cleaning/maintenance.

I also have a set of Torque Thrust II wheels for this truck, go back and forth depending on "whatever".....
That's a whole nother story, as I originally was running other rims that started cracking and breaking, had two different failures out on the road with those other wheels, luckily at slow speeds both times, minimal damage to the truck....

I was finally offered my choice of new wheels for the truck and chose the TT-II rims. Like them very much.
2Loose

Postby Indycars » June 9th, 2012, 2:05 pm

Hey 5 months later, you're right on time! :lol:
Rick

Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby 406shark » May 27th, 2013, 2:59 pm

I made some changes over the winter on my truck. Looking to make it a little quicker, and more consistent. Had a CM round tube backhalf done, cut some weight out of it, and stuffed a set of Hoosier 29.5 x 11.50w tires under it.

These are from my first trip to the track. So far my best is a 10.067 @ 133.78 mph with only a 1.414 60'. I'm sure there is more in it once I can get the suspension dialed in. I didn't change anything to do with power, just the backhalf and weight loss. I wanted a true idea of what the improvement were from last season. After I get the suspension dialed in, then I'll install new plugs, adjust valves, check timing, etc.. Already have some ideas for next winter. ;)

Jeff
406shark

Postby Indycars » May 27th, 2013, 4:22 pm

So far my best is a 10.067 @ 133.78 mph with only a 1.414 60'.

Damn....oh so close to a NINE second truck! But like you said there is more to be had.
Pretty damn impressive for just 383 cuin!!!

Rick

Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby 406shark » May 27th, 2013, 4:41 pm

Indycars wrote:
So far my best is a 10.067 @ 133.78 mph with only a 1.414 60'.

Damn....oh so close to a NINE second truck! But like you said there is more to be had.
Pretty damn impressive for just 383 cuin!!!

lol

Yep... I"m sure I'll get into the 9's soon. It was hot and humid down in Bowling Green Ky where I ran it last weekend. Hoping the weather up here in Minnesota is better for racing when I take it out next time.

Thanks... not bad for only 543 HP, and it's going on its 4th season of racing without a tear down of any kind.

Jeff
406shark

Postby grumpyvette » May 27th, 2013, 5:42 pm

getting a truck into the very low 10 second range with a 383 small block based engine, and an automatic transmission, is always rather impressive , but doing it with a production block, based engine and running it for 4 years with out a problems VERY impressive!
Ive seen way to many guys do similar 383 sbc engine builds (especially if they use nitrous) and consistently be plagued with bearing durability issues, because a stock small blocks main caps even on a 4 bolt main cap block, tend to move around at that level of stress.
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Indycars » May 27th, 2013, 6:15 pm

Hoping the weather up here in Minnesota is better for racing when I take it out next time.

I can't remember who, but we have someone that is in the ARTIC CIRCLE. Maybe
you should move there and try to break into the 8's!!! :lol:

Be sure and study up on carb tuning before you go. ;)

How about some background on yourself and how you got to where you are
today. I'm (pretty) sure you didn't put that truck into the 9's on your first
hotrod build.

Rick

Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby 406shark » May 27th, 2013, 7:56 pm

grumpyvette wrote:getting a truck into the very low 10 second range with a 383 small block based engine, and an automatic transmission, is always rather impressive , but doing it with a production block, based engine and running it for 4 years with out a problems VERY impressive!
Ive seen way to many guys do similar 383 sbc engine builds (especially if they use nitrous) and consistently be plagued with bearing durability issues, because a stock small blocks main caps even on a 4 bolt main cap block, tend to move around at that level of stress.

Thanks.

I've been keeping the engine RPM under 7500. I shift at only 6700 rpm, and this year I was trapping at 7300 - 7400 per my memory tach. I plan on pulling the engine out over the winter and freshening it up with bearings, rings, and a valve job.

Jeff
406shark

Postby 406shark » May 27th, 2013, 8:22 pm

Indycars wrote:
Hoping the weather up here in Minnesota is better for racing when I take it out next time.

I can't remember who, but we have someone that is in the ARTIC CIRCLE. Maybe
you should move there and try to break into the 8's!!! :lol:

Be sure and study up on carb tuning before you go. ;)

How about some background on yourself and how you got to where you are
today. I'm (pretty) sure you didn't put that truck into the 9's on your first
hotrod build.

I spent years playing with big block Mopars. They were all just street strip cars. This S-10 is my first race only build... and my first full small block Chevy build. I did a ton of research for this build. I picked parts based on what would work well with the other parts... I think that was probably one of the "secrets" to my build. I see way too many guys start throwing mismatched parts at a car and wonder why it won't go down the track quick. There are more than a few guys I hang with that have anywhere from 80 - 150 HP more than me and can't run with my truck.Their package isn't matched to work well together. I can't afford to waste my money, so I spend more time doing research before buying parts.

I've done everything on this myself except for the cage and chassis (I don't trust my life to my welding skills). I got a really great deal on my backhalf... or I wouldn't have been able to get it done. So far I love the 4 link and the Strange double adjustable shocks. I upgraded to a wishbone instead of the normal diagonal link, and also had my old ARB reinstalled. My chassis guy recommended the Racecraft springs... not sure why, but I went with them on his suggestion. The rear springs are 85# rated ones.

Here are links to what I had installed:

http://www.appliedracing.com/4-link-kit ... ckets.html

http://www.appliedracing.com/track-loca ... ld-on.html

http://www.appliedracing.com/anti-roll- ... l-kit.html

http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/index.html

http://www.racecraft.com/index.php?main ... ucts_id=85

The CM round tube backhalf, with all parts and labor was done for a price too cheap to turn down.

I also added a Fab 9 rear housing with new Moser axles... I bought it from someone that had it mocked in a car, but never driven. I sold my old rear housing and Moser axles... then added $200.00 to it for the Fab 9 with new axles. Actually I broke even, cause I didn't have to pay to have my old housing and axles cut down. Sometimes you're just lucky. :)

Part of my weight loss program included all new brakes. Got rid of the stock front discs, and the stock ford disc brakes. I bought a set of Aerospace race disc brakes with 4 piston calipers on all 4 corners. Dropped just under 75 pounds doing that... and I can easily make the first turnoff trapping at 133+ mph.

http://shop.aerospacecomponents.com/4pi ... gbody.aspx - front

http://shop.aerospacecomponents.com/rea ... lstud.aspx - rear

Aerospace had a sale at the end of the year. Watch for it. ;)

I've got pictures of just about all the modifications done to this truck. If anyone wants pictures, or information about putting one of these trucks together let me know.

Jeff
Last edited by 406shark on October 3rd, 2013, 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
406shark

Postby 406shark » June 30th, 2013, 12:58 pm

Just a quick update...

Finally got a chance to scale the truck. The weight loss program worked better than expected.

weight without me...

weight with me...

Almost forgot to add... the race weight last season was 2920 with me. All weights were taken race ready.

Jeff
406shark

Postby grumpyvette » June 30th, 2013, 7:25 pm

FIRST, CONGRATS on the weight loss, and building a darn impressive car that I,m sure most of us would be very proud too own, and I,m sure ,the reduced weight will provide a very noticeable gain in acceleration.
one of the "SECRETS" many guys IGNORE is that a great deal of your cars performance potential is based on the POWER TO WEIGHT RATIO, most guys concentrate on building an engine to produce more power and totally forget about or ignore the other end of the equation (REDUCING WEIGHT) and reducing weight has added benefits, like less parts breakage, faster acceleration, better braking and generally a good deal less expensive parts required to get the car to run fast.