Hello From Texas

Re: Hello From Texas

Postby Indycars » September 4th, 2014, 7:14 am

BetsyRed63 wrote: My goals honestly are just to have a solid dependable mechanically sound truck. I just don't want to cheat myself by not improving on small things like torque converter etc...
I feel like there is no need for more stall cruising around town, but I hate to cheat my self on performance by skimping on something so easy to replace before dropping the motor in.

Something around 2200 rpm stall would help accelerate the truck from a stop and give you a little room for a higher idle so you don't have to stand on the brake at the stoplight. Even higher if you main goal was the best performance possible. Dependability should not suffer. But only you can decide if the gain is worth the cost.

Maybe someone else would share their thoughts on a torque converter.

Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby grumpyvette » September 4th, 2014, 9:04 am

one of the very common misconceptions I hear repeated endlessly is that a higher stall speed converter will make the car used on the street a P.I.T.A. to drive and that if you select something like a 2800rpm stall converter the car won,t move until, the engine rpms hit near that rated stall speed.
the truth is that if you select the correct stall speed for the gearing and application your car will be far easier to drive on the street.
that of course mandates you know a bit about how to select a converter stall speed and match it to your cars power curve.even thought I have a 3200 stall converter the car pulls fine at 1900rpm-2200rpm at part throttle, but no longer wants to jump the car forward and stall the engine when its put into gear like it did with the stock converter stall speed, or bog and not move untill the rpms build
heres my current corvettes 383, its most efficient power is produced in the 3100rpm-6300rpm power band , I selected a 3200 rpm stall and 3.73:1 rear gear ratio, with 25" tire height and the trans shifts at near 6400rpm under wide open throttle
the 383 sbc has 11:1 compression, and this cam, installed 4 degrees retarded and runs a extensively ported stealthram with 36lb injectors and a 58mm throttle body and long tube headers, with ported trick flow heads
notice the power band in theory should be from about 2100rpm-thru about 6100rpm, but the tunnel-ram type intake and extensively ported heads and intake runners and retarding the cam timing move it up to near 2800rpm-thru-about 6400rpm, usiong a 3200rpm stall means I,m nearly instantly in the power when the throttles held firmly on the floor, and the 25" tires and 3.73:1 rear gear helps

READ THESE THREAD
S
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1715

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=741

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=555

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=430
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BetsyRed63 » September 4th, 2014, 11:47 am

Thanks for the info guys. I will read through those links you posted Grumpy.
I ran a hughes 2500 stall on the 85 chevy I had, 350 vortec heads, mild cam, 373 gears with limited slip. Accelerated and ran great.
I have a little knowledge of how they work, but less on how to determine the right one for my application. This info should help me chooce.

Thanks!

P.S. Could anyone link me to any fuel gauge trouble shooting links? Searched the forum but came up empty.
Don't think it's the sending unit, but it could possibly be.
BetsyRed63

Previous

Return to introduce yourself