Hello GRUMPYVETTE HERE

Hello GRUMPYVETTE HERE

Postby grumpyvette » October 22nd, 2008, 5:00 pm

http://www.grumpysperformance.com/

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=10255

this whole forum.. is installed and maintained to make it easy for both the beginners and the very experienced hot rodders to find information regarding various car and engine related subjects, youll find threads generally have links to related info, because theres no possible way that I can know each particular problems cause, or suggest the best possible parts choice, in every case , so I try to make it far easier to find answers to the more common problems and questions.
I try to give a good over view on how things work, how they can be tested and what commonly fails.
or I try to provide links to related sources to make your search for information related to any subject covered both easy to find and as extensive as you care to push into your research. Ive been building engines and racing for 45 plus years and while I have done many things, Im always learning and looking to learn from others in this hobby ,so if you can add useful links or information or just as questions to clarify an answer or question you read on the site,to clear up a question or find an answer too the info please do so.
yeah I do exist!, Im just an old geezer thats been building a few engines every year for 45 plus years , I used to do it as a semi serious side business when I was younger , and while I always have had, and still do have a long line of local guys wanting to have me work on their cars its never been more than a serious hobby, and I rarely do more than break even on cost because I rarely charge more than the parts and supplies cost(again, I view this as a HOBBY and do things correctly at my pace

welcome to the site, while we have a great deal of hot rod and engine related info to share , learned over many decades and many very skilled members, the sites NOT connected with the LATE gumpy jenkins, BTW I have also talked with the late GRUMPY JENKINS and DOZENS of other older , more experience RACERS

If any thing the sites name is more related to, how my wifes constantly referred to me for the last 45 years

IF you have questions on any car related subject or need help, let us know, ESPECIALLY if your local to myself or other members, as we might be able to help, and its not all that rare to find new friends that you might never have met otherwise , locally by posting on this site

IVE posted lots of info over the years and its a waste of time and effort to re-post much of it so ILL use links to previous posts on different sites frequently, and only re-post some info and this site should also prevent the info's loss when different web sites I post on,change servers like has happened in the past when much researched data was lost, it makes no sense that many forums restrict searches to the last 6 months or only a year, theres tons of info that might have been posted that you can no longer access
to the many more faithful members of the forum this is probably not going to be any surprise but to the newer and less frequent visitors it may be!
OLDER THREADS CONSTANTLY GET NEW INFO ADDED
I see no reason at all to start a new thread anytime a previously discussed subject is being re-addressed, for minor changes or additions , so If I see related info that may be useful I frequently go back and add it , as links or corrections to older threads, and I spend hours a day searching for new info off site and posting it here,doing so!
and that may not always show up as new info, so just because youve read thru a thread several weeks ago doesn,t mean theres not a good deal more linked info or upgrades or corrections having been added since then, the object is to limit your needing to search thru dozens, or even hundreds of similar threads like on most sites, force you to do, to find the bits of info you need, youll also find I try hard to include all useful links to speed up any search, and yeah! I,m well aware you can get lost in a ton of sub links but youll also spend a great deal less total time and get more useful info in doing it that way than in random hit or miss searches like on most sites

example
if I find a new link , or related info ,to show how to do almost anything, like tig weld an exhaust , or a fast way to clean rust , or how to tune your car or verify a components function ID usually place the link to the new info in a previous related thread, not start a new thread

WHY DID I START THE SITE?
AFTER The THIRD site I post on in this year that was closed or said they were closing, or re-configured and then lost all MY old posted data, OR RESTRICTED SEARCHES TO ONLY THE LAST CALENDER YEAR, I felt it was mandatory to save the research and I figured theres a ton of good useful info that was being lost, and I did a great deal of research and my experience that would be wasted, so the only way to prevent that was to start someplace I had control over

Ive always said they should make any design engineer work with experienced line mechanics too actually remove and install any and all parts they design on a mock-up car long before they go into production and any sub-component or major assembly that can't be replaced as a unit, in under 1/2-1 hour with common hand tools on a fully assembled car MUST be redesigned, or the area around it thats preventing its easy access must be redesigned to allow that ease of replacement.... its all too obvious some components are assembled or installed before the body or interior is in place with zero concern for future access, or maintenance , well we all know thats unlikely..
I bet I spend 85% -90% or more of my time on the site, ADDING, or CORRECTING info or pictures or graphs or ADDING LINKS, or anything else I can do to constantly upgrade already existing posts so guys will have far fewer threads to look thru to find info on a related subject.
it makes very little sense to me on most sites theres a post on a subject and the guy might ask a question and he might get a half valid answer, but theres rarely any follow-up or even rarer, that someone points out some related info that could save the guy hour or hundreds of dollars if he knew about it....
now hypothetical example
lets say a guy asked how to remove a damper from a crank, because his DAMPER has had the TDC mark obviously rotate, so it no longer indicates TDC

to me it just makes sense to post a few links on the thread links for,
verifying TDC
replacing a TIMING TAB
SETTING IGNITION TIMING
replacing a timing chain
replacing a front crank seal
using a damper tool
OPTIONAL ARP DAMPER BOLTS
repairing striped crank threads
replacing an oil pan gasket
working safely on a firmly supported car

do you gentlemen feel thats helpful or a waste of time?
Its not like the guys forced to read the links but it sure should make things a whole lot easier if hes run into trouble, if hes taken the time to read the links, but it should help a great deal and save time if he does read the links

BTW if your interested??
"GRUMPYVETTE", is a contraction, or NICKNAME, based on my wife always bitching about my attitude over the years, if I'm under the corvette working and she calls me to do some darn silly thing like answer the phone while Im under the car, as in (WHY ARE YOU SO DAMN GRUMPY EVERY TIME YOU HAVE TO GET OUT FROM UNDER THE HOOD OR OUT FROM UNDER THE CAR (CORVETTEs) are what I usually work on)shes told more than one person over the years ("OLD GRUMPYVETTES UNDER THE CAR,ILL HAVE HIM CALL YOU WHEN HE GETS OUT OF THE SHOP!")

MOST OF THE PICTURES ARE A COUPLE YEARS OLD AND WERE TAKEN ON or BEFORE THE FIRST DAY WE GOT ELECTRIC POWER, EVERYTHING WAS BEING STUFFED IN AT RANDOM AS IT LOOKED LIKE RAIN AND MANY OF THE LARGER TOOLS AND WELDERS WERE NOT UNLOADED YET
no Im not a computer, like the rumors say, just an old geezer! in a red shirt and a old hat...notice the similarity to the avatarImage

a few more pics, its still a total mess while Im in the process of BUILDING and moving in but IM getting there slowly, I could only get a few of the BBC engines in the shop, I prefer to work on, into the camera/shot

I get asked this frequently
how old are you?how do you know this stuff?
answer, I'm just an old (62) now retired HOTRODDER and mechanical engineer ,whos been building cars and engines, helping my friends on a semi constant basis for well over 45 years,
here,s a picture of me in 1970 (43 years ago) with a 1969 camaro I installed a BBC-496 with a tunnel ram into, then later CROWER FUEL INJECTION
now you can see I started out 45 plus years back, just as enthusiastic, about big block cars and needing to learn a good deal more about what I was doing, as most of us do!

raced a few corvettes,G.T.O.s ROAD RUNNERS, CAMAROS, Ive build or rebuild over a hundred engines, swapped suspensions, and learned on the way.
IVE learned to K.I.S.S. (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID)
IVE learned that a FEW QUALITY parts will BEAT lots of junk
IVE learned careful clearancing and attention to details makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE
IVE learned researching and learning from other people mistakes is FAR cheaper and faster than making your own in a car build.
IVE learned to do extensive research BEFORE buying parts
IVE learned NEVER BUY PARTS that you get on (DEALS) if they don't match your goals
Ive learned that building engines for maximum AVERAGE TQ IN the RPM RANGE you'll use the car beats building for maximum PEAK hp numbers
IVE learned asking lots of questions is far cheaper than making lots of mistakes
IVE learned that a cars performance depends a great deal on its POWER TO WEIGHT RATIO.
IVE learned that to have fun,your combo must be BOTH dependable and faster than MOST but not ALL the competition (most guys will never afford the expence in being the fastest car in your area)
IVE learned a CAR that breaks down is a TOTAL P.I.T.A. and RELIEABILITY is VERY IMPORTANT!

and like many of you IM broke most of the time, because of this hobby,but always glad to help out
" IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: hello GRUMPYVETTE HERE

Postby grumpyvette » October 29th, 2008, 8:57 pm

Ill add these tips

(1) do EXTENSIVE research FIRST, before....... buying parts.... or starting a modification, that INCLUDES making a detailed parts list and researching , the sources, cost, manuals etc. IE FIND OUT whats necessary to do the job, and what results youll expect before you start

(2) ITS a HUGE advantage to have the correct tools, things like engine cranes, diagnostic test equipment, welders,lifts, etc. may seem like a big expence thats not dirrectly moving your project forward, but there NECESSARY in some cases and ALWAYS make the project go faster and easier than trying to do without them.

(3) work SAFELY, if you could get hurt doing something, chances are very good that you will eventually find out exactly WHY you should have done it the safe rather than the fast/easy way, if you don,t think it thru and use the correct tools and precautions

(4)ITs almost ALWAYS better to have several friends help, on a project, having two or more guys thinking things thru improves your chances of getting it done correctly and safely,and keep in mind ,its always best to do your projects after helping a more experianced guy do something similar on his car so you have some experiance doing it, thus be ready and available to help your buddies withn thier projects and don,t avoid helping so you won,t get dirty, or have some free time thats used on other guys cars vs yours...in the long run it pays big to help others

(5)ask questions and be sure you understand the answers, KNOWING what your doing before you start is a huge advantage

(6)take pictures, label wireing, put small parts in labeled ziploc bags and take notes, use the manuals, and internet, and if something won,t fit or looks wrong research rather than forcing it with a bigger hammer
" IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby grumpyvette » November 24th, 2008, 3:38 pm

If there's a Corvette, or hotrodders club in your area , JOIN IT,!
REPEAT! if there's a hotrodders club, JOIN IT,!
you don,t need to like all the members,odds are good that about 30% know far less than you do,or are no help at all, 30% are much more skilled,than you are, but your there to share skills and knowledge, LEARN FROM THEM, and HELP, become familiar with the tools, take the time, and help each other, its a two way street, don,t expect help if your not willing to help others,etc.
ask some of the members for suggestions and help and BE WILLING TO HELP WITH THEIR PROBLEMS, ITS A LEARNING PROCESS
your bound to find good contacts that will be helpful and a few total jerks you'll want to totally avoid in any group, but don,t let the jerks dis-swade you from getting the benefits and making the contacts you need!

that's a valid suggestion.....you may also want to go to the local tracks DRAG RACE AND CIRCLE TRACK carry a large pad and pen and ask for contacts, clubs,suppliers,club info, etc. make friends and ask the faster guys with the better looking cars , what machine shops and garages/mechanics they would suggest, when you get in over your head. in many cases they will know who the scam artists and rip off garages are and who does good dependable work at reasonable rates, but its been my experience that the best thing you can do is join a local hot rodders or corvette club and between the members contacts and your own resources, YOU will be able to do , and should do,most work your self with some help and knowledge from the guys you make contacts with, in your local clubs, no one but YOU will do QUALITY work and take the time on the details like YOU will on YOUR CORVETTE
your bound to notice I install links to useful info in most threads,
now obviously not all the info, posted in all threads will be helpful in all cases,
but you'll eventually come to realize the value of reading thru the info links.
theres a great deal of useful info, in those links
info that you might think is useless to you now, but you'll be amazed at the number of times in the future your going to say to yourself...., damn! I remember reading something about that, now where was that posted, and a brief search will turn up your info!, info you swore at the time was a waste of your time to read thru, I know that's been very common for me and I'm sure it will be for those guys that really want to learn how and why things work!.
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bob » May 3rd, 2009, 10:27 pm

I was talking to GRUMPYVETTE today
and the conversation turned to why he had bothered to even start this site,
I found that conversation very interesting, now what he said boiled down to something like this....
GRUMPY said "
I remember how hard it was to get detailed answers and explainations about how things worked and why certain parts just were not a good selection, in some cases, and why and how you made the correct parts selections, and that there were rules to use as guides, but it took years to find that out, because most guys were either totally clueless or just repeated , mindlessly stuff they had heard.
I remember the (KNOW IT ALL, attitude) some of the older guys had when I started working on cars, and how hard it was to get honest answers to simple questions.
and I was hoping to help smooth out the process for the newer guys and prevent the wasted years, doing stupid stuff and not even realizing why some things just didn,t seem to work out like the magazine articles indicated they should! and hopefully prevent those guys from going thru the wasted cash and time and effort that ID spent learning things the hard way!
now if I can be a help and if the guys will only take advantage of the info.....well, it should go along way to making things a good deal more enjoyable and less difficult"
bob

Postby joegagan » May 4th, 2009, 11:30 pm

it cannot be said too many times here.

THANK YOU PAUL!!!

i love this site, i try to visit as often a possible, i have already learned more than a year of schooling since i joined!
Send a message to Washington, join SEMAsan ( http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?I ... m/HomePage ), free membership. There is power in numbers, act now before any more more crap laws are passed. Vote the bums out in 2010!!!
joegagan

Postby JumpRun » May 11th, 2009, 9:03 pm

Watched the garage progress on DC, looks great, I'm jealous.

Learned over time you can never know it all, so find those smarter than you, listen up and save your self a ton of mistakes.

Thats what makes a site like this so "Valuable".

Thanks
JumpRun

Postby grumpyvette » June 1st, 2009, 4:10 pm

Ive ALWAYS tried to help ALL you gentlemen on your projects, and Ive given many dozens of you my phone number and worked on many of the corvettes owned by this and other sites members
(USUALLY FOR FREE) simply because I enjoy teaching and working on cars. so if you've got questions on the 1996 and earlier cars IM usually able to help out, IVE tuned dozens of local guys corvettes and built several of their engines, and cured an almost endless list of minor glitches like electrical, tuning and just issues with broken parts. so if I can help post some questions, I sure don,t know all the answers but I have a good deal of experience and a huge data base I can refer too, plus a great deal of engine building and tuning and trouble shooting experience to refer too,
If I don,t know the answer IM always willing to learn or do research!
lets make this site an easily used and valuable resource

my dad was a mechanical engineer, he did 90% of our family car repairs, most of my friends were gear-heads from 7th grade on, and not having a reasonably fast car was about as un-thinkable as walking around nude in the group of guys I grew up with, cruising thru the local u-pick-it salvage yards for overlooked drive train components and rebuild-able cars in my early teen years, on weekends was almost required and expected in my group of buddies.
If you didn,t have an old v8 camaro,chevelle,gto,road runner, corvette,or cuda ,or big block ford in some stage of being built , modified or repaired in your back yard or garage you were looked at as, rather odd.
I don,t own a machine shop, I only own a few major machine tools,like a mill and welders, I just have most of the precision measuring and checking tools, and a good deal of experience checking and assembling parts correctly.
I have been assembling several engines a year for the local guys that I know, but Ive never made much if any money doing it as I generally have those guys pay for the time and effort required to get thier engines correctly assembled with tools or parts,or shop supplies.
so the way I generally operate with the local guys is I have them get all their parts ordered ,after making a check list or if used parts are used,I have them cleaned and inspected, then re-machined to required specs at a trusted local machine shop.
I then measure and re-inspect the parts ,after the machine shop does the work, if required I do minor port clean -up and fitting ,polishing ,checking and assembly, this frequently involves having the parts owner making several return trips to a local machine shop, or ordering new parts.
this process can take a few weeks opr even months depending on whats being built and cash flow available, and in most case cash flows a big problem.
I generally have the parts owner involved in every step of the procedure making hands-on checks and decisions, as the engines assembled, and parts fitted and re-checked so your very unlikely to find your going to be able to do that if your not local, on the plus side theres zero reason you can,t do the same thing locally if you just have a few measuring tools and follow thru some instructional thread like....the hundreds posted on this site!

EXAMPLE
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8460

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=462

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=181

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2726

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=852

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=247

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=110
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby enigma57 » June 12th, 2009, 12:30 pm

:D Grumpy (Paul), I really enjoyed speaking with you a couple of weeks ago on the phone. I know you were real busy that day. Just wanted to say THANKS for taking the time to chat and for helping so many of us on this and other sites you post at as well!

Best regards,

Harry
enigma57

Postby grumpyvette » June 12th, 2009, 2:15 pm

Im always glad to help where I can!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby larmcintsh » August 28th, 2009, 10:13 am

I am glad I found this site. I have been a gearhead all my life (74). I have owned vettes since 1962, 340hp, 1966 350 hp coupe, 1978 L82, all four speeds. I sold the 1978 in 1986, as I did not like the performance. I bought my 1996 CE LT4 in 2008, with 47,000 miles on it. I am out of the loop as far as this car goes. It is pretty much stock except for flowmaster exhaust, and a K&N air filter, I think the stock filter is just as good except for the maintenance. Anyway GRUMPY I will be looking at your site because I know that you what your are doing. Keep the wave, Thanks Larry
larmcintsh

Postby Enuzio » November 7th, 2009, 7:58 am

Hi Grumpy and guys*,

Nice site, Grumpy, and thanks for all your posts and technical contributions on the various sites...great stuff!

My toy is an '86 C4 Ragtop...51,000 miles, with a 700R4, 2.73 D36 and some minor bolt-ons...runs a 13.9 @ 103...about as fast as my completely stock VW.

The vette is configured with a SLP cold air ram and filter, descreened MAF, coolant bypass (no icing noticed in rainy 40 deg temps with snow in the air) airfoil, Thermomaster chip, EGR mods, 180 thermostat, Bassani #57421 Tri-Y headers, "X" pipe with true duals (2 1/2") with dual high flow cats, out to the Corsas in back. Stock '128 aluminum heads.

(*yes even the ladies are guys if they drink beer and get grease under the fingernails)

Cheers! :)

Enuzio
Enuzio

Postby grumpyvette » November 7th, 2009, 9:23 am

welcome aboard, please look around and use the search feature
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wildjyoung » November 26th, 2009, 1:28 am

Grumpy, I just wanted to thank you for your help and starting this site! You have put out an enormous resource for people to use, plus you are always more than willing to help. Thanks again, for being selfless and helping other with their projects. With your help I hope mine will be running soon!
wildjyoung

Postby grumpyvette » November 26th, 2009, 8:20 am

I am always glad to help and if you have requests or suggestions Ill be glad to look them over
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ChevyInf » February 22nd, 2010, 11:22 pm

great site here and thanks for all the information. the cams and heads section here has taught me a lot.. thanks for all the help grumpy
ChevyInf

Postby grumpyvette » February 23rd, 2010, 7:41 am

if youve got any requests, questions or info you care to post please do so, we are trying to make the site better every day
when I help some guy build an engine I like to point out each step ,requiring that I only deal locally , and that those I work with are willing to make a lot or runs for parts and trips to the local machine shops,and pay their own bills, in the process and we discuss whats going to be done and why, it needs to be done!
and point out options and then I let them make the decisions after I explain the consequences of doing or NOT doing the required work and whats very likely to result if they don,t want to do whats required to do it correctly. if you build an engine that way, theres some logic in the cost, of the engine build as it progresses , as the cost adds up,otherwise, it always seems far too excessive.
if I was to just say, heres your kick ass 383, pay me $7,000-to-$9,000!
THE NORMAL GUYS GOING TO THINK IM A CROOK, BUT IF HE REALIZES that the only thing I got out of the deal was a few lunches, he bought along the way, and maybe $250 total profit and the rest was spent by him personally on parts that went directly into his engine and that money was spent by him personally AT the local machine shop of his choice,and not to me, is suddenly dawns on him that I,m not exactly making peanuts, on the deal.
I don,t give a damn where he gets the machine work done, that I can,t do in my shop, I just give him very detailed instructions and suggest a few local shops I know do decent work, as long as its done correctly , I,m happy ,and we darn well are going to verify each part before its installed.
and when he puts his big boot on the floor and leaves 200 feet of black rubber in the street and the engine doesn,t come apart and he is still driving it without issues a year later he tends to understand the value in doing things correctly
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to introduce yourself