540 CORVETTE

Re: 540 CORVETTE

Postby Indycars » November 11th, 2014, 8:03 am

You've got an awesome Vette!

When is the WOT run with GoPro going to happen??? :)

I want to go for a ride now!!! [Said in a little boys voice.]
Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby grumpyvette » November 11th, 2014, 9:01 am

yeah! dual 2.5" exhaust past the (X) pipe on a healthy 540 big block is forcing it to to piss exhaust thru a straw, its sure to restrict power noticeably, and even dual 3" may be a bit smaller than ideal in the upper rpm ranges
careful inspection of the dyno sheet and a look at the intake plenum vacuum, and exhaust back pressure readings, at every few hundred rpm as the engine accelerates,on the dyno and also watching the BSFC numbers and exhaust gas temps will give a marked indication of a restriction, but I found many dyno sheets don,t include these bits of data
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 540 90 VETTE » November 11th, 2014, 10:01 pm

Thanks guys, always learning. I notice a big difference since I took out some of the restriction out. As far as the upper rpm. I know in theory I should be running 3.25 or 3.5" exhaust. The headers are 2"primary and 3" collectors. Believe it or not it's much more quiet with the 3" the whole way even at cruising. The motor makes power up to 6300 rpm that's red line. I have to say when I get on it now it screams power. Almost freighting, like is this trip necessary. lol Once I get the Holley Hp system in which I started working on, should give me the full potential of the motor. I will have more dyno video and I would like to take it to the track with drag radials. See what the car will do. I will try to post more pictures of the build I have tons of them. The best part of this build the motor sits below the stock hood. It really turns heads. Have a great night guys. If your in Florida let me know and I will give you a ride someday. It's insane. Anything built is better then bought.
540 90 VETTE

Postby 540 90 VETTE » November 11th, 2014, 10:07 pm

Thanks Phil for the link, I ended up with Dynomax ultra flow mufflers straight through. 3" love them. You can hear them on the link on my thread.
540 90 VETTE

Postby grumpyvette » December 4th, 2014, 7:15 pm

ANY MORE PICTURES? UPDATES?

crate engine
http://www.competitionproducts.com/Comp ... Pji0-HO2PI
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 540 90 VETTE » December 14th, 2014, 5:54 pm

This was the beginning when the L98 engine was taken out 3 years ago. Moved the rack and pinion towers forward 3/4 of inch. Cut the frame so the harmonic balancer and oil pan wouldn't hit under a load. 3/4 spacers were welding into place and painted. The crate engine was in and out of the car for measurement 6 times. I didn't have to take the hood off to put the engine in the car. I extended the boom on the hoist by 3 feet. With a load leveler worked out well. The biggest thing is to watch your fingers near the engine mounts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
540 90 VETTE

Previous

Return to introduce yourself