Timing issues

Timing issues

Postby RXN » May 12th, 2011, 11:10 am

I have a 65 Chevy C20, with a 283. Ended up cracking the block. My Dad a a complete 283 sitting in one of his shed's. So I tore it down and re-used the best of what I had to build it up. Anyways, a buddy of mine gave me a new timing chain set, I installed it by lining up the timing marks as followed. The Cam sprocket mark was at the 6 O'clock position, and the Crank timing mark was at the 12 O'clock position.
Which seemed fairly simple. finished engine off, dropped in truck and she won't start. cranks over lots, getting lots of fuel, but no start.

Removed the coil to distributor wire off top of distributor cap, held to intake and cranked, there was spark. Removed #1 plug wire stuck a screw driver in the end of it and rested against block and cranked engine over, again there was spark. Dad figures I'm out 180 degrees and I'm firing on the intake stroke. Any thought's
RXN

Re: Timing issues

Postby grumpyvette » May 12th, 2011, 12:39 pm

step one, READ THE PROVIDED LINKED INFO
a logical step bye step check list will locate the problem, don,t glance thru or skip over the info in the links and sub links

verify the valves are adjusted correctly, make sure youve got compression on all cylinders, and the fuel pressure correct

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=196

step two, verify TDC and ignition timing with a timing light and timing tape on the damper, and make sure the distributor rotor points at the #1 cylinder on the #1 cylinders compression stroke, verify your getting 12 plus volts at the coil and that the spark plugs spark as the distributor spins, verify your getting oil pressure and at least 5 psi of fuel pressure

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=967

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=751&p=1159&hilit=dropping+distributor#p1159

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=3401

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=3301

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=109

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=1697
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Contact us