t56 transmission with pro 5,0 shifter
stock 1987 turbo ii rear end with 4.11 gears and posi
long tube headers
edelbrock intake with 58mm throttle body
custom made hand fabricated aluminum fuel tank
custom made hand fabricated aluminum exhaust with borla mufflers
aluminum hood
aluminum radiator and a mini cooper electric fan
twin a1000 pumps and about a million dollars worth of AN fittings and black braided lines...

brace your selves for pictures

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by philly on March 15th, 2015, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-phil

There's never enough money to build it right, but there's always enough to build it twice!
philly

Re: 1987 mazda rx7

Postby Indycars » March 15th, 2015, 8:29 pm

You bought one???
Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby philly » March 15th, 2015, 9:33 pm

yes indeed...

not the smartest time for me to fork over that kind of money, but the price basically justified any action taken to acquire the car. so i jumped on it.

the combination runs GREAT... makes plenty of power in the 2800ish pound car but i think the 4.11 gear is doing more harm than good... right now it sits on stock third generation rx7 wheels and baby street tires (which it roasts on command at any speed in all but 5th and 6th. so the next thing ive gotta score is a tall set of mickey thompson drag radials to throw on it, both for hookin and killin that gear.

i shift the car about 5500-5800 and after burning through a tank of gas today i think it can really do some damage to someones ego.

i notice now in that pic of the fuel pumps theres just one exhaust pipe showing but theres an X undercar and it has the same setup you see there on the other side so true duals...

on the other hand, the body is an out and out shitheap... complete with mandatory flintstones floors and a very leaky sunroof... theres alot of time and money in this combo so i jumped on it in the hopes of having some fun and one day putting the combo in some other body that isnt as fucked up as this one. (maybe a silverado or a GTA)
-phil

There's never enough money to build it right, but there's always enough to build it twice!
philly

Postby Indycars » March 15th, 2015, 9:51 pm

dont believe it til I see action photos. :P
Rick

Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby philly » March 15th, 2015, 10:13 pm

haha ill have someone take a video tomorrow
-phil

philly

Postby 87vette81big » March 16th, 2015, 4:48 am

Congrats Phil.
Might as well work with the RX-7.
I know you want LSX but its tough without $5,000 cash to begin with to build a basic drag race level foundation .
87vette81big

Postby Indycars » March 16th, 2015, 7:01 am

The driver's seat looks nice!!! :P :D

Looks fun to drive, a real sleeper I bet!
Rick

Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby 87vette81big » March 16th, 2015, 7:45 am

All that matters in 2015 is RACING HELLCATS & SRT VIPERS FROM 10.5 TO 9.0 ET 1/4 MILE FLAT @130-150 MPH TRAP SPEEDS IN 1320 PHIL.
ANYTHING LESS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

YOU & ME STAND THE BEST CHANCE HERE.
87vette81big

Postby NOT A TA » March 16th, 2015, 1:29 pm

Congrats! Looks like you'll have a lot of fun with it.
NOT A TA

Postby philly » March 17th, 2015, 12:50 am

thanks guys... i have gotten to feel the car out a bit on the little tires and it seems like it has the potential to be a mid 11 second car as it sits... i need to find someone versed in lt1edit here locally thatll tune all the bottom end fatness out so itll get aalot more crispy downsairs... above 3500 it pulls like a locomotive but its really rich all across the powerband... once thats cleaned up and i get the car sorted out on a tire ill put some money together and wack it with some nitrous and try to dip into the tens

edit: first things first im gonna get some baseline numbers for this thing, a dyno sheet, a certified scale certificate and atleast an eigth mile pass (tho i'd love to take it up to moroso and make a full 1/4 mile run sometime)
-phil

philly

Postby 87vette81big » March 17th, 2015, 7:29 am

philly wrote:thanks guys... i have gotten to feel the car out a bit on the little tires and it seems like it has the potential to be a mid 11 second car as it sits... i need to find someone versed in lt1edit here locally thatll tune all the bottom end fatness out so itll get aalot more crispy downsairs... above 3500 it pulls like a locomotive but its really rich all across the powerband... once thats cleaned up and i get the car sorted out on a tire ill put some money together and wack it with some nitrous and try to dip into the tens

edit: first things first im gonna get some baseline numbers for this thing, a dyno sheet, a certified scale certificate and atleast an eigth mile pass (tho i'd love to take it up to moroso and make a full 1/4 mile run sometime)

Head to the local 1/8 mile Track when you can Phil.
Skip the chassis dyno. Flash numbers only as you know.
Tune on the street and at the track.
87vette81big

Postby philly » March 29th, 2015, 1:20 am

so i got sick of looking at the car the way it sat... hideous looking cracked up garbage pot... so i took the time to sand and prep and prime the car just as it sits, dents and all, and im gonna rattle can it a dark sain green tomorrow... just looking at the pics i posted here i dont even recognize the car anymore. amazing how fucked up the thing was... after tomorrow it'll still be dented and rusty, but itll look like someone gives a shit about its future.
-phil

philly

Postby philly » March 29th, 2015, 1:23 am

im also going to liberally use seam sealer and grommets on this naked and rusty floor to try to get some sort of blockage for the HEAVY exhaust that comes into the car basically all the time. also seam sealer for that damn sunroof.
-phil

philly

Postby philly » March 29th, 2015, 1:36 am

little backstory to this... two weeks ago when i got the car i immediately was called out by a friend of mine in his built b- series, ported head, skunk cams, intake, exhaust, naturally aspirated civic... the guy means well but he doesnt know what he doesnt know... so i obliged him at whatever mph roll he chose, and gave him half a car and the move, from 40 mph this was what happened... spun what was left of second, all of third, and backpedalling in fourth finally decided to come around him and walk away. yea it appears that i was plaing in oncoming traffic but i was in fact in a center turning lane for the majority of the shenanigans... click the thumbnail for video (chase car is a modified prelude)

i apologize in advance for the 480x480 resolution... i guess this guy shot the video on a potato
-phil

philly

Postby mathd » March 29th, 2015, 10:21 am

I find the the cheap limco spray paint (its synthetic enamel i think)is less expensive that spray can and give better/similar result and it take far less time shooting.
Thats what i used on the bottom (the grey part)of my truck since i could not leave it on primer for a 2nd winter.
thats what i did with the door, just some sand/bondo/primer over rust and cheap paint.
As you can see the one in the picture look bad.. it was sprayed outside where the picture was taken, with wind and dirt(there's a dirt road 50 feet away)... I also did not strain the paint since it was metallic, and ifound a small grey gum particule on the bottom of the spray gun restricting flow... guy who mixed it did a bad job :O.
But for 20$ its hard to beat.
Last edited by mathd on March 29th, 2015, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mathieu
mathd

Postby Indycars » March 29th, 2015, 10:35 am

Cool !!! I like!

You could use some bigger/better tires for sure!!! :) :)

Rick

Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Next

Return to Picture gallery