454 Vega

454 Vega

Postby IBob » February 26th, 2010, 9:24 pm

Here are a few pics of our (son & I) project from 79/80. It was in the 81' Street Machine Nantionals.
I hesitated to post these as the quality is poor. They are pictures of pictures, no memory cameras back then, and I'm no photographer. I apologize for the quality.
It is a 72' Vega. The motor is a .030 over 454 with home ported and polished oval port heads, and an Engle roller. Part of the time we ran an 850dp on a Team G and part of the time Hilborn. It had a six point cage, rear frame, tubs and wheelies. It was a street car.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by IBob on February 26th, 2010, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBob

Re: 454 Vega

Postby IBob » February 26th, 2010, 9:26 pm

Here's one more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IBob

Postby grumpyvette » February 26th, 2010, 9:31 pm

even though the quality, of the photos is really rather poor,
Its obvious that you put a good deal of effort into the car,
and having built something rather unique is both rewarding, in its own right, and almost always great source or improver of the owners mechanical skills simply because its required during the build up and maintenance of the car.
Ive worked on dozens of constant flow fuel injection systems, and really prefer those to the current EFI mpfi systems, as changing pills(return line jets) and injector nozzles in the stack bases made more sense to an old guy like myself than the current lap tops and software maps

life was simpler when you had VERTEX magnetos, that required a kill switch,on a single connector to frame ground and injection that you leaned out by installing larger jets in the return line., and tuned for the upper mid range to peak rpm band by reading plugs and reading vacuum, and watching the exhaust flames color
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby IBob » February 26th, 2010, 9:49 pm

IIRC, I figured at the time that I had over a thousand hours in the car.

Constant flow was good , but could be a pain in the butt on the street, with weather changes, humidity, etc.
IBob

Postby grumpyvette » February 27th, 2010, 9:10 am

IBob wrote:IIRC, I figured at the time that I had over a thousand hours in the car.

Constant flow was good , but could be a pain in the butt on the street, with weather changes, humidity, etc.

while I fully agree that it took constant tweaking to run at peak efficiency, with time you got experience and could anticipate and correctly tune your engine in a remarkably short time, it took be a couple years to become fully comfortable with constant flow systems ,but once I was I loved them
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby IBob » February 27th, 2010, 12:13 pm

I'm sure if I had had more time with the system I would have become more adept at "pill" selection.

Back then it was definitely an interesting system to setup and run on the street.
IBob

Postby scottdase » December 2nd, 2012, 12:27 am

I rmember this conversion like it was yestereday back when things were more mechanical than electrical. Wih the right fuel i take this combo any day.
scottdase

Postby Indycars » December 2nd, 2012, 12:25 pm

Welcome to the forum Scottdase!

Why not start another thread and post some pics of your toys or projects! We love pics here!

Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to Picture gallery