Some Body Work pics. of my BelAir

Some Body Work pics. of my BelAir

Postby LEADSLED » August 27th, 2011, 2:34 pm

'51/'52 BelAir: before,and during resto pics.
P9160295.JPG
P9160297.JPG
PB010097.JPG
PC030165.JPG
PC030175.JPG
P3250343.JPG
P6100474.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LEADSLED

Re: Some Body Work pics. of my BelAir

Postby grumpyvette » August 27th, 2011, 2:54 pm

now i freely admit I do more drive train than body work, but Ive done enough body mods like installing much larger inner fender wells /rear tub installs to clear huge slicks, and basic damage repairs to know both how art some point you look at the car and can,t help but think your in over your head, or think,"why in blue blazes did I ever get involved in this" "I,m in to something thats never going to look right when Im done" or something similar and you plod along, hopefully with some experienced help, and eventually you look back and say, to yourself, WOW! I did that, it was a P.I.T.A. but now it looks and works great!... your amazed when you do something similar the 2nd or third time and find it much less difficult than you remember, and by the 5th or 6th time you don,t even think its all that difficult.
I had a complete tip off forward fiberglass front cap and tubbed rear with a dana 60 differential on my 1969 camaro, and fiberglass hood, fenders trunk lid and a tubbed a dana 60 differential rear on my 1965 le mams/G.T.O clone
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Indycars » August 27th, 2011, 3:59 pm

grumpyvette wrote: can,t help but think your in over your head, or think,"why in blue blazes did I ever get involved in this" "I,m in to something thats never going to look right when Im done"

Boy you hit the nail on the head, that's exactly what I'm thinking when I look at the picture of the dash inside the car with everything hanging out !!! :o

I can remember taking a math test in college. When I first read the problem I would be over whelmed at first, then start think....what is the first think I need do. Breaking it into small steps and working toward the final goal, makes it alot easier.
Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Indycars » August 27th, 2011, 4:06 pm

Ledsled,

How many times do you think you will have to take the class to finish the car ??? 8-)
Rick

Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby mathd » August 27th, 2011, 4:24 pm

We rarly see body work topic, its nice and i wish we had more info about this work.
Am going to replace the floor panel on my camaro this winter(and probably some other sheetmetal work like under the battery tray and the rear lower valance), first time "serious" body work job so i will surely need advice :).

Does any of you have any link/how-to/literature so i can educate myself about body work is welcome :D
Mathieu
mathd

Postby grumpyvette » August 27th, 2011, 4:41 pm

IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby LEADSLED » August 28th, 2011, 7:42 am

Hi guys. Rick,the dash pic.looks a lot worse than it really is. I did have sense enough to label everything as I took it out.(most of that is the stupid stereo).
My original plan was to leave the dash alone,mask it off and paint around it...But noooo. To get 4 little nuts off of the bottom windshield trim(where they come through the cowl),I had to reach up under the dash.I couldn't fit my hand up there,much less any kind of tool.Some of that stuff had to come off in order to replace the old vacuum wiper motor to 12v.
What took forever was hand fabing some of the patchs I made(both rear fender wells,and bottom door patches),also had to replace both rocker panels.
When I say that I'm at school all day...that actually means only 4 hrs. of working time.You have to consider all the bogus holidays they have nowadays,and the snow days in the winter. I "SHOULD" be done with the body/paint work by late Oct. Then comes the fun part - REASSEMBLY. I took photos of all the window mechanisms,and weather stripping for future reference.
If the worse does come up,I can always put it back together at home. :)
LEADSLED

Postby Indycars » August 28th, 2011, 8:34 am

LEADSLED wrote: My original plan was to leave the dash alone,mask it off and paint around it...But noooo. To get 4 little nuts off of the bottom windshield trim(where they come through the cowl),I had to reach up under the dash.I couldn't fit my hand up there,much less any kind of tool.
Yes......I'm familiar with original plans that look nothing like the final plans :roll:

I "SHOULD" be done with the body/paint work by late Oct.
Wow, that fast really ! I'm just slow, my engine project proves that.

Then comes the fun part - REASSEMBLY. I took photos of all the window mechanisms,and weather stripping for future reference.
If the worse does come up,I can always put it back together at home. :)
I'm a firm believer in photos when you take something apart. I have a camera, computer and 22" monitor in the garage so I can look at the photos while re-assembling things.

Be sure to update us with anything new that gets done.

Rick

Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby mathd » August 28th, 2011, 8:50 am

Thanks for the links Grumpyvette :!:
I need to teach mysefl more about body work.
Like where to start, once i reached the floor, how do i remove the tack weld(i know with a drill bit)? but do i have to use a sanding disk(or other tool) so i can see them better? Once i have cut the rusted panel out, i put the new floor panel over doing tack weld OR should i butt weld like in the video above?
Once my new panel are in, what should i use as a sealer over the welds(or ijust use the por15 and call it done)? I know to use por15 on bare metal, and zink primer on other area, what kind of seam sealer do i need for the weld rail?. Should i weld some reinforcement before to take apart the floor?
What tool should i use to cut the old floor/sheet metal angle grinder? with what kind of disk?(i do not have a blow torch)?.

Sorry i know i sound like a total noob, but as i said, am new to body work.(andi have time to learn how to do it properly, will start working on that in october). At least i have good practice with the MIG welder i bought a few month ago, so far on thick metal i make really nice and strong welds.
I did search alot on the internet, here is a link that was usefull alot to me so it could be for others(feel free to remove the link anytime if needed):
http://www.superchevy.com/tech/chevy_pa ... index.html
http://www.superchevy.com/tech/chevy_pa ... index.html
But there is still unanswered questions.

A dash wiring is the last thing that worry me.. After messing/building small electronic stuff for years(small transistor amps, vintage guitar vacuum tube amp, power supply and so on)..
Its always impressive when we dont know what we are working with/doing.

Taking picture is a great idea, i tend to take apart everything and never take picture.. But i have a crazy visual memory :)
The wiring is the fun part for me, so long i have the wiring schematic so i know what am working with/on.
Mathieu
mathd

Postby grumpyvette » November 6th, 2011, 11:39 am

cooperhw posted this as an answer to a similar question, its good basic advice concerning breaking the job down into bite size work sessions rather than getting over whelmed

Not to be a downer or nay sayer, but just to play Devils Advocate here. I assume since you are asking the question out loud you are "really wanting an honest answer here". Well I am going to give it as best I can. It might or might not be the answer you want and might not be the same answer everybody else is giving.

If the car is still in a running/driving condition in my opinion you should leave it like that and tackle these problem rusty areas one at a time. That way in between you can still have some fun driving the car or at least some times starting the car up.
"ALOT of beginners start by disassembling the whole car, stripping, etc. and jump in with both feet. At first put in lots of time. After a year or so not so much time. After a couple years they look in the garage and realize that even if they spent their whole vacation working 14 hour days that at the end of summer it probably still would not be on the road. Then they start shaking their heads and asking themselves "what was I thinking".

We all know of projects that have followed this path. Some of us have bought un-finished projects like this.

Not trying to talk you out of it, (cause I would love for you start and complete the project) but somebody should be honest and tell you the hard truth is that quite a lot of projects die a sad death after a lot of money and time is invested. If you put in hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars it is hard for a new beginner to see the light at the end of the tunnel or the finish line and see it through.
My goal is to be honest and possibly keep you in the hobby instead of telling you "all is well" and having you get burned out and quitting the hobby completely.
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mathd » November 6th, 2011, 12:37 pm

Hey, thanks for the advice.

I did start on the floorpan repair, so far i have the driver side complete and it did go very well. Had to spend a few hour on the rusted inner rocker panel...
I did include pictures below, pardon me for the cellphone quality picture(have to buy a camera someday.. when i can afford one) and 2 of them was in the dark, lamps off i had to go quick.
Am not keeping the car out for the winter because am not using this car in snow/calcium, so instead that it sit in the driveway waiting snow and ice to melt until it can go out again, i have it in the shop with repair in process. The winter am usually bored with nothing but free time so that will hopefulyl keep me busy for the whole winter :).

I am doing one part at a time as suggested, now its the floor, next will be the trunk floor pan and so on. This way, if the summer is comming i will get the car out and complete the remainning repair the next years/winter :P
Tackling the issue one at a time.
What help is, i dont have to do a complete repair/restauration (fender and inner wheelhouse are brand new with lots of other thing on that car, i dont have to paint and get too much "into it" since there was only the floor to repair on that car).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mathd on January 4th, 2012, 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mathieu
mathd

Postby Indycars » November 6th, 2011, 2:07 pm

Hope you don't mind, but I added the pictures to your post, also tried to lighten the two really dark ones.

Looks like you are doing a nice job, is this your first time replacing sheet metal ???
Rick

Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby mathd » November 6th, 2011, 3:27 pm

Indycars wrote:Hope you don't mind, but I added the pictures to your post, also tried to lighten the two really dark ones.

Looks like you are doing a nice job, is this your first time replacing sheet metal ???

Yeah i dont mind about the picture, i did not add them to the post because i did not want people to complain at the low quality thats only why :P.
Thanks you for you comment that mean alot to me :)

It is my first time doing it RIGHT and with a welder.
What a great feeling to be proud of your own work.

A few years ago i did some, but i was only an helper(helping dad) at patching real fast some sheetmetal with rivets and metal screw and bondo to fill holes and spraycan paint and old chimney(or whatever we could find) as sheetmetal.. yeah what not to do but i was just the helper at that time and it was not my chose to do the job that way.
It was usually on the old family cars/trucks(2 of them old pos) we could afford only the rivets and bondo, was not our choose to do it that way, its all we could afford to keep them on the road so the family could still go to work and have income.. yeah hard time but thats a few years ago :)
Last edited by mathd on November 6th, 2011, 3:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mathieu
mathd

Postby Indycars » November 6th, 2011, 3:35 pm

mathd wrote:It was usually on the old family cars/trucks(2 of them old pos) we could afford only the rivets and bondo, was not our choose to do it that way, its all we could afford to keep them on the road so the family could still go to work and have income.. yeah hard time but thats a few years ago :)

Sometimes you just got to do what gets you by, absolutely nothing wrong with that. Keeps us from being to wasteful during the better times.
Rick

Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby mathd » January 4th, 2012, 3:20 pm

I finally bought a quality camera to take picture.
I edited my post above and removed the 2 really dark floor picture and replaced them by a new clear one(DSCN0165(1).jpg)

someone told me that i could use smooth fiberglass on the underside seam, to make it looks better(i used a lap weld). Wondering if thats a good idea?.
Right now, i used seam sealer, just like the upperside of the floor.
Mathieu
mathd

Postby Indycars » January 4th, 2012, 5:10 pm

mathd wrote:I finally bought a quality camera to take picture.
I edited my post above and removed the 2 really dark floor picture and replaced them by a new clear one(DSCN0165(1).jpg)

someone told me that i could use smooth fiberglass on the underside seam, to make it looks better(i used a lap weld). Wondering if thats a good idea?.
Right now, i used seam sealer, just like the upperside of the floor.

If the old pic looked anything like the others pics still there, that's a great improvement in picture quality.
What kind of camera did you purchase? What did it cost?

BTW, can you tell any difference in your picture (1st pic) and the compressed one (2nd pic)

DSCN0165(1).jpg
DSCN0165(1)Compressed01.jpg

The 2nd picture is over 9 times smaller file size. I've never run a website, but I'm guessing that Grumpy has to pay for the amount of storage space he uses. Also the load time when you get a page full of the larger pics will be noticeable.

If anyone needs help with this aspect of posting pics, check out the thread below. Just page down until you see the
" Software " section, there you can download the FREE software.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5595

Rick

Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Next

Return to Picture gallery