under car safety

Re: under car safety

Postby Indycars » April 1st, 2012, 12:49 pm

grumpyvette wrote:harbor freight has a sale , theres a discount coupon

nows a good time too buy 4 of the 12 ton rated jack stands they are one of the few real bargains at 20% off that flier has a discount coupon

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-jack-stands-34924.html

Ive use six I bought 15-20 or more years ago and found them a real asset to the shop

So you are saying the final price would be $71.99 with the 20% discount? I tried ordering online using the coupon code (number just below the bar code), but said it was invalid. Maybe the 20% is only for in store purchases.
Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby grumpyvette » May 2nd, 2012, 5:17 pm

careless mistakes seem to happen regularly so once more ILL point out that you need to think thru simple stuff like use of jack stands

http://www.acjacks.com/acjacks_003.htm
good floor jack
I just spent a couple hours over at JACKs neighbors house , he had low oil pressure on his 1970 Pontiac, (original engine with over 180K miles)so they had placed the car up on 2 crappy 3 ton auto parts store , and two cheap metal ramps/ stands on his asphalt drive way, they had placed the ramps under the front wheels of the car, by driving up on the ramps.
they had then jacked up the rear of the car which was on a very slight incline to level the car but had to extend the small jack stands under the rear frame to almost 3/4 max height to allow about 20" -22"of clearance for easy access under the car, Jack and his neighbor then drove to the auto parts store to purchase a new oil HV pump and oil pan gasket, as they intended to inspect the bearings, and if they looked serviceable then just install the high volume oil pump as the engines oil pressure was rather low as the engine had a good many miles on it and they hoped to extend the cars operation a bit before needing a complete over hall.
when they got back from the store the car was on the tires, partly on the lawn,as it was obvious the rear jack stand on the drivers side had sunk into the asphalt enough to allow the car to shift , and the cars rear was a good 30" to the side of where it was originally and the car had rolled off and back off the front ramps that were supporting the front tires. they were darn lucky they were not under the car when that happened.
the base on the small 3 ton jack stands is to small and narrow to be used on any asphalt unless you place them on 12" square 3/4" plywood bases, and extending them that high is asking for stability problems.
Ive stated many times that the 12 ton jack stands on the lower two notches provide a far stronger and much wider more stable base, but even with those I normally strongly suggest you use a 18" square 3/4" plywood base, on anything but a level concrete floor.
I brought over my jack stands , two 1/2 sheets of 3/4" plywood (2ft wide 8ft long) to use as jack stand bases on his drive way,and floor jacks, and we got the car back up securely, when I left they were working on the car, but they now have a bit more respect for the damage a car falling can do and even JACK now sees the advantage oh the larger jack stands

look at the difference in size between the two, 3 ton vs 12 ton stands

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby grumpyvette » June 7th, 2012, 10:03 am

above rather well made custom welded jack stands, I think he would have been FAR better off making the rear jack stand design for all four locations as the narrower front stands don,t look that stable, and while you have to admire the skill it took to weld these up,the commercial 12 ton stands would more than likely be cheaper and more stable, especially placed correctly under the cars frame, as they have a wider base.
if you choose to support the car tires these or something similar are cheap, easy and solid supports if built correctly with wood glue and thru bolts

whoever put a car up like this is obviously looking to get killed when the car falls, this is just flat out asking to get seriously hurt or killed

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-jac ... 34924.html

http://www.webriggingsupply.com/pages/c ... hooks.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... 41860.html
stands like this are very handy under a car lift to support exhaust systems during assembly

having an engine tilter helps
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-capa ... -5402.html
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby grumpyvette » December 19th, 2012, 11:08 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... h6z5BW_meE

wow could I sure use one of these little tools, if the price is even semi reasonable that looks like a fine addition to any mechanics tools!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bytor » December 19th, 2012, 11:17 am

grumpyvette wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Fh6z5BW_meE

wow could I sure use one of these little tools, if the price is even semi reasonable that looks like a fine addition to any mechanics tools!

Now that's cool!!
My 383 build photos
bytor

Postby Indycars » December 19th, 2012, 12:15 pm

Wow, that's amazing!

If I could move as fast as that guy thou, I wouldn't need one. :)

Rick

Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby grumpyvette » March 24th, 2013, 8:06 pm

"GRUMPY? I just bought a set of those 12 ton jack stands and I see a paper with instructions that says to bend in the tab in the side.
Why is this important?

http://www.acjacks.com/acjacks_003.htm
good floor jack
simply place a socket extension on the tip of the tab after inserting the center support and give it a good hit with a 3 LB hammer the bent tab prevents the jack stand components separating if you try to move it holding the upper support
THAT bendable tab keeps the center support from pulling out of the base of the jack stand and leaving the base on the floor when you pick them up to move the jack stand by the top.
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby grumpyvette » April 1st, 2013, 8:23 pm

grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby grumpyvette » June 26th, 2013, 4:11 pm

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Move-It-Wheel-Dolly-4

I purchased a set of these to make it easier to move my corvette that is not up on jack stands around the shop, they work fairly well, allowing you to push the car in any direction once the cars up on the 4 car skates, but Ive had them on the car for well over 3 years and I went to remove them and one of the four had the hydraulic cylinder fail over that time making removing the car skate a p.i.t.a.
now when you have spent several hundred dollars on a tool and used it once and go to use it again the second time and find it won,t work... well to say i was PISSED OFF, would be an understatement... but I figure what ever failed can,t be that complicated to fix , after all its only been sitting in a nice dry shop.

once the cotter pins removed from the end of the pivot pin holding the lever the spring and its cover can be lifted off the 3/4" six sided hydraulic sleeve cylinder that can be easily unscrewed, once thats removed the long cylinder like piston can be easily pushed out of the bottom where you'll see the defective O-RING that needs to be replaced, its approximately the same size as the O-rings on fuel injectors but take the old one to a local hydraulic supply or auto parts with a good o-ring selection if you don,t have a selection of o-rings in your shop supplies, slipping on a new o-ring and refilling the hydraulic cylinder was all that was required.
the screw plug to the hydraulic oil supply access was a flush screw in the base youll see easily during any inspection once the car jacks inverted,
so the bottom line here is its a very easy repair and under $1 to fix , but a P.I.T.A. to find its not working

yes you obviously need a quart of hydraulic jack oil, in addition to the replacement oil , plunger O-ring

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... 13803_0_0_

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/LIQUID ... Pid=search

and yes pouring it in the small access ports, or filling the jack is made far easier of the oils first poured into a oil squirt can
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=9191
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Indycars » June 27th, 2013, 5:05 pm

At $100 each, you must of had a good reason for purchasing this style of dolly? Why these instead of the other style where you jack up the car and then place the dolly under the wheels?

Rick

Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby grumpyvette » June 27th, 2013, 5:30 pm

the hydraulic car skates
make it easy to pull a corvette into the shop, and just slide a car skate on each wheel, ,you then pump up the cylinder that closes the two parallel roller bars , lifting the tire off the ground, letting the 4 swivel casters on each car skate allow the car to be pushed in any direction.
once you get to working on a car theres lots of times that the ability to push it to a different location while the engine or transmission are not 100% functional, becomes an asset.
keep in m ind the other (cheaper ) type floor skates, require use of a separate floor jack, and the ones Ive seen that a buddy purchased at HF, are not built nearly as strong from what I,ve seen, and remember corvettes are generally so close to the floor that many floor jacks won,t clear the frame unless you first drive the corvette up on a small floor ramp, and you can,t remove the floor jack unless you place spacers or ramps under the tires (Ive got 4 double thick 3/4" 12"x12" square sections of plywood I put under the corvette tires at times just too get the required floor jack clearance.)
in fact I bought the ones I did only after seeing, how useful they were in use at, a friends, he had used a set in use in his shop, for over a year, and they were working so well, it made moving his second project car simple.
and after seeing the other type bend , at a second guys shop under his project pick-up truck and obviously being stressed to the point they looked about to fail
(they did,nt fail but were obviously bending under load)
http://compare.ebay.com/like/4003532189 ... s&var=sbar

in fact that lack of easy floor jack clearance has had several of my friends build a couple of shallow ramps that they use in their shops that look like this
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Indycars » June 27th, 2013, 6:16 pm

Well if you were into TBuckets, then the weight (1800 lbs) or ground clearance
would not be a problem. Oh well it's too late now for you to change directions! :D

Rick

Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby grumpyvette » June 27th, 2013, 6:39 pm

trust me when I say building and working on a T-bucket, or similar cars,
where you can easily access the components,
has a real strong appeal, and many times I wish Id gone that route
......frequently :D
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Indycars » June 27th, 2013, 7:49 pm

I suspect you may have dreamed about ... LOL

Right after you dreamed about that other subject. :lol:
Rick

Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby grumpyvette » July 3rd, 2013, 11:02 am

HELL, IM MALE I spend the vast majority of my dream time thinking about the same basic thing most guys do....and its mostly a subject thats always getting us into trouble and costing us money, and proving we don,t always think logically, but I,m hardly unique in that reguard

grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 87vette81big » July 3rd, 2013, 12:38 pm

:D Up
87vette81big

PreviousNext

Return to Shop Plans, and some larger shop tool related info