under car safety

Re: under car safety

Postby grumpyvette » November 7th, 2013, 10:58 am

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-capa ... 41860.html
HF PART NUMBERS 41860 or 60759... these come in very handy during exhaust system fabrication
http://www.harborfreight.com/underhoist ... 60759.html

This underhoist safety stand provides an extra point of support while working on exhaust systems, struts, transmissions and engine mounts. The wide stable base and precise adjustment on this transmission stand lets you support components during removal and replacement.
YOULL GENERALLY FIND THAT HAVING TWO OF THE TALL JACK STANDS IS HANDY, WHILE FABRICATING AN EXHAUST, AND A MIG OR TIG WELDER SURE HELPS
WATCH VIDEO
http://www.webriggingsupply.com/pages/c ... hooks.html
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Vie ... grease-gun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgCkdXLvL08
All steel construction
Six height adjustments
Fine screw adjustment
Large 3-1/8" x 4-1/2" saddle
Sturdy tripod base

Specifications
Name Underhoist Safety Stand
SKU 60759
Brand Pittsburgh Automotive
Capacity 4000 lb.
Maximum height (in.) 93-1/2 in.
Minimum height (in.) 49-3/4 in.
Product Height 49-3/4 in.
Product Length 24 in.
Product Width 24 in.
Jack recently started fabricating a custom exhaust for his car and while he had access to both a friend of his shop with a good mig welder and a two post lift to make the job much easier, he did not have two of the tall support jacks that come in so handy when doing that type of work.
well harbor freight has them listed (I bought two of these about 9 years ago for my shop) I offered to loan him mine but he decided it might be better to have two he owns personally as it gave him as good excuse to buy them and he fully intends to get a lift in his garage in the future.
I helped him assemble those two stands and I don,t remember the ones I purchased being that difficult, Id strongly suggest you read the instructions carefully and remember to install the assembly bolts only very loosely in ALL LOCATIONS allowing a small amount of flexibility during the assembly process, because getting all the braces, and bolts in place , in the tall support stand if any of the bolts in place are tightened,becomes a huge P.I.T.A. if they are tight, which makes the assembly process much more difficult.
yes these stands come in very handy at times if you own a lift in your shop, and yes I recommend you get two .
BTW theres three of the bolts that are 25mm and the rest are 20mm length the three are for the upper triangular plate and youll need a 17mm wrench and 17mm ratchet and socket or second 17mm wrench.
and don,t forget to grease the bearing and screw threads with a good coat of MOLY grease it makes it far easier to use

IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chromebumpers » December 31st, 2013, 1:59 pm

These are great for freeing up a lift.

Last edited by chromebumpers on May 21st, 2014, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich
chromebumpers

Postby 87vette81big » December 31st, 2013, 2:02 pm

Oh my God Rich.
I can't believe.....
Yes its real.
I don't know ....
Rather work on my back.
Even Dirt Ground.
No worries then of being crushed.
87vette81big

Postby Indycars » December 31st, 2013, 2:14 pm

chromebumpers wrote:These are great for freeing up a lift.

Holly Mackerel, those probably cost more than my TBucket !!! :lol:

Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby chromebumpers » December 31st, 2013, 2:16 pm

87vette81big wrote:Oh my God Rich.
I can't believe.....
Yes its real.
I don't know ....
Rather work on my back.
Even Dirt Ground.
No worries then of being crushed.

Why would you say that? These stands would be great for long term use (perhaps freeing up a lift)- at the lowest setting would be great for body work. There must be a crane used to lift that truck high enough.
Rich
chromebumpers

Postby grumpyvette » May 5th, 2014, 9:57 am

if your interested in installing lift pads on your cars frame to prevent the floor jack or two post auto lift arms from scratching the frame on your car, heres a rather interesting option I found posted. you could also use these RUBBER PADS on some floor jacks or jack stands, especially if you fabricate adapter plates if needed.

C3C6 Norm wrote:About $15, give or take.

http://www.qcidirect.com/vibeaway.html? ... 7AodFVoA8w

Image ]
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby grumpyvette » May 20th, 2014, 1:42 pm

I was rather impressed when I saw this idea
as the idea of car skates , or wheel dollies

to allow moving a car in the shop has always been very useful.
the idea of wood supports is also good

these castors would support 600 lbs EACH so 4 under a double thick 3/4" 18"x18" platform base with the proper tire support would easily handle the weight of the corvette or muscle car as each should, in theory support 2400 lbs with zero issues, giving a decent safety margin at 9600 lbs for four castor platforms under the four wheels, and at roughly 9" tall even before you bolt a support stack of 2x4 over the (4) double thick 18"x 18" plywood bases it would be a great shop tool ... yeah ! obviously the cost of about $320 for the 16 casters is a bit high but they have 20% discount sales all the time

the idea of combining the two concepts too make a safe car support ,thats high enough too safely use a mechanics creeper with, seems like a good idea, other than the cost of course, but Id feel far safer, using the 4 larger wheel ,heavier duty rated casters , than with the caster platforms as pictured above
[/b]

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-x-2 ... 41565.html

Description
This durable swivel caster is made of high quality rubber for maximum absorption, cushion load and pressed steel double ball bearings for extended service life. The heavy duty design makes this caster ideal for carts used in restaurants, schools and hospitals.

High quality solid rubber tire bonded to a polypropylene core
600 lb. load rated
Double ball bearing axle
Zinc plated steel yoke and plate

Specifications
Name 6 in. Heavy Duty Swivel Caster
SKU 41565
Brand Central Machinery
Brake No
Material Rubber, steel
Maximum Working load (lbs.) 600 lb.
Mounting type Plate
Quantity 1
Swivel base (deg) 360°
Wheel thickness (in.) 2 in.
Fits tire size (in.) 6 in.
Product Height 7-1/2 in.
Shipping Weight 6.10 lb.
Tire size (in.) 6 in.
Warranty 90 Day
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby philly » May 20th, 2014, 2:35 pm

http://www.raceramps.com/full-vehicle-lift-ramps.aspx

wheelcribs2.jpg

my corvette is MUCH lower than this z06 so i would require the longer ramps but those "wheel cribs" are ideal wether you make them from 2x4 or buy them to bring the ass of the car up and make the car level again.

i wouldnt recommend using ramps and having the rear tires on the ground with the car at such an extreme angle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-phil

There's never enough money to build it right, but there's always enough to build it twice!
philly

Postby NOT A TA » May 21st, 2014, 11:00 pm

I use wheel cribs, wheel dollys, and go jacks a lot. I have about a hundred of the cribs and leave them on jobs building cars until I finish. The wheel dollys in the pics of the red car are rated for 1000 lbs each and with no drive train or front end the car only weighs maybe 1500 in the pics so 3 dollys is double whats needed.

The wheel cribs used on the truck above aren't ideal for the use pictured. They aren't long enough for the diameter of the tire so the tire doesn't sit down enough between the 2X4's. Another thing is without a flat surface for the tire to sit on the cribs want to tilt on the opposite end of the vehicle when raising the vehicle more than a couple cribs high because of the arc the floor jack makes as you pump it up. If you're going to put the car up high you have to raise each end in stages. While jacking the wheels on the opposite end need to roll a bit so a flat top longer than the contact patch is better.

I would not build rolling cribs with the above mentioned 6" wheels from Harbor Freight (or any of their castor wheels). They are crap. I examined them closely as a possible replacement for all the wheels on the rotisserie after we broke a couple of the stock ones. They have cheap bearings, a pressed pivot point, and the rubber wheels make it hard to get the wheels to turn together on concrete as opposed to the smooth tile floors they're marketed toward.

I also use wheel cribs a lot on cars without wheels. I like them more than jackstands.
NOT A TA

Postby grumpyvette » May 22nd, 2014, 8:20 am

good points to look into further! you can,t ever be too careful when your going to potentially be forced to do bench presses with a car if you screw up!

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... ?hftref=cj
yes I think the 6 of these 12 ton jack stands I bought and have used for over 2 decades are a good deal
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby grumpyvette » January 21st, 2015, 11:29 am

grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby grumpyvette » February 23rd, 2015, 12:42 pm

GRUMPYVETTE wrote:having the car up on (4) 12 ton jack stands allows easy access under the car, that you generally need when pulling or installing an engine, and having a mechanics creeper available for under the car access and an easily moveable engine crane can be useful features

ALLEN wrote: IF you have the car up on jack stands to allow use of the larger add-on caster wheels on the engine crane,
Then you need boxes to stand on ,too reach into the engine compartment, thats going to be a huge P.I.T.A.

yes I can see where that could potentially be an issue on some cars for some people, I'm thinking that issue with being able to reach the engine compartment interior might be dependent on both your physical size and the car your working on plus factors like what needs to be reached, yes obviously if you can,t reach the areas required having a milk crate too stand on might be useful.(small issue if you need to reach both under the car and into the engine compartment in my opinion) but I,m 6'3" and mostly work on my personal corvettes with a few neighbors GTO's road runners,novas,,CHEVELLES AND CAMAROS etc. thrown into the mix) Id also point out that I don,t know a single guys home shop that I or my friends have that does not have at least one
Image milk crate in use as a mechanics seat ,so its unlikely to be a huge logistical issue getting a bit more height if its needed

yes this is one of my vettes,
no this is NOT my corvette but it might be useful in showing why Ive never seemed to need a box

BTW if you have a decent mig welder, and some scrap 1" box steel tube and an old engine crane or other assorted parts, an afternoon could be spent fabricating something similar to this, top access creeper , to make life a bit easier on your reaching hard too access tall engine compartment areas, or you could just buy one if the checking acct. balance allows it!
http://www.mygaragestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=98
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby NOT A TA » February 23rd, 2015, 3:06 pm

The topside creeper looks pretty cool. I have the same truck in the pic above and hate working in the engine compartment of it because I have to lay on my stomach on the hood latch the whole time. I have a dedicated fender cover I've poked a bunch of holes through laying on that damn latch. Gotta get the fender cover out soon as I need to do fuel system work on it and don't want to ruin others on the latch.
NOT A TA

Previous

Return to Shop Plans, and some larger shop tool related info