Page 2 of 2

Re: got your fire extinguisher HANDY??

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2013, 9:47 am
by 87vette81big
I Want a 1 Or 2 # Halon fire extinguisher to keep in my C4 Vert.
Have fire extinguisers around the house &'garages

Re: got your fire extinguisher HANDY??

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2013, 10:59 am
by Indycars

I have a 9 lb Halon at one end of the garage and a 20 lb Dry Chemical at the other end.

Made my wife watch a couple of videos on Youtube a couple of months ago and how to use one.

Re: got your fire extinguisher HANDY??

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2013, 10:23 am
by grumpyvette
I'm calling this stump the mechanic.
I usually put my cars away for the winter in October. I put them in the pole barn, take out the batteries and put them on "Battery Tenders".
In early May I wanted to bring one of the cars up to the garage. This car has a 350 SBC that I had built @ 3 years ago (4 bolt, forged crank & pistons, Howards roller cam & lifters, Holley 650, mechanical fuel pump) and a Muncie 4 speed trans. It has run fine for the past 2 years. So I put in & hooked up the battery, gave the engine the once over, closed the hood and figured I was ready to go. Since the car was sitting for @ 8 months it took some cranking and pumping. It finally caught and started and after a few seconds I noticed condensation on the passenger side of the hood. I immediately shut it off, opened the hood and was shocked when the whole right side of the engine compartment was soaked with gas including puddles in all the intake low areas.
I removed the air cleaner and 2 days later a buddy came over to look for leaks while I tried to start it. It started right up with no leaks or other issues to be found. I drove it up to the garage where it has been sitting since.
Tuesday, a week and a half ago was the first time I had tried to start the car since I brought it up to the garage @ 2-1/2 months ago. Again I gave the engine a good look, left the hood up and tried to start the car. Again after some pumping and cranking it started and since the hood was open, right away I saw fluid spraying over the passenger side of the windshield. I shut it off immediately, got out to look and again the whole right hand side of the engine compartment was soaked with gas.
I removed the air cleaner and Friday a buddy came over to check for leaks while I started the car and again it started right up with no leaks or other issues.
In the past few days I have started the car several times and taken it on a couple of cruises and it runs fine with no leaks or other problems.
Does anyone have a clue on where the gas can be coming from and why only after it sits for an extended period of time?"

without testing its just guessing but it sounds like a sticking float and or dried out gaskets in the carb or a defective fuel line connection, or maybe a loose fitting or crack in a fuel line, or defective manual fuel pump, that clears after fresh fuel runs thru the lines, swelling the gasket or fuel line or temporarily sealing the leak, and or needle & seat in the carb thats not seating correctly for a few seconds, Id strongly suggest finding the cause before driving the car , and having the hood up and a friend inspecting the car with a 10 lb co2 fire extinguisher in hand, and rolling the car out away from all structures when you work on it until you locate the cause, Id sure verify the fuel pressure and it should be below 6 psi at the carb inlet port
personally ID replace the carb and gaskets and fuel lines before even trying to run the car again, its going to be far less expensive than a car fire, a condition like thats just far to dangerous to be allowed to continue , or even take a chance, I replace the fuel lines and carb and if your running a manual fuel pump, that being on the pass side of the engine makes it suspect!!! ID replace that pump, the fuel lines and carb, during the process before even attempting to restart the engine

Re: got your fire extinguisher HANDY??

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2013, 1:48 pm
by 87vette81big
This one reason why I like a seperate Toggle switch hardwired to a high performance electric fuel pump.
Shut off the fuel pump immediate if problems arrise.
Cracked fuel lines a common problem on high horsepower & torque engines.

Re: got your fire extinguisher HANDY??

PostPosted: May 9th, 2014, 2:00 pm
by grumpyvette
One of the other sites I visit regularly has a member who has had his parents house where he stores some of his tools have a fire which destroyed about $15-$20K in tools plus the damage to the garage which was attached to the house, obviously theres also some smoke and water and probably structural and some roof damage, also, I,m always sorry to hear about this type of fire, but it happens regularly, I know only too well, I had one in my shop, while I was working on a car when a fuel line sprung a leak, and while I put it out with a extinguisher and a garden hose I almost always have handy with a twist to turn on nozzle near the shop I still had several thousand dollars damage result, it would have been far worse with out the extinguisher mounted near each door and the garden hose handy



, and this is a good place for a reminder, too keep , purchase a couple good quality CO2 fire extinguishers so you have them,handy in any shop, as they make a whole lot less of a mess than the less expensive dry chemical ,type and the -non-refillable dry chemical type extinguishers, while better than nothing are not the best value in the long run, but in either case,buy several, mount them right near all the exits , so in an emergency you don,t need to go looking for where you stored them, obviously youll also want to have several quality smoke alarms,with fresh battery,s you change regularly every 4-5 months, and youll want to be using quality METAL trash cans ,in any shop, with tight fitting lids in any shop,because those cans won,t burn if something ignites you pitched into them several hours later from some chemical oxidation problem, like some solvents and paints and cleaners can cause,if they sit for hours on rags in a closed space and while you can never prevent all fires thats at least the minimum safety precautions you can do before hand.
obviously, if youve had a fire ,and theres any question about damage to the existing electrical wiring, youll want to rewire the shop or garage with new electrical wire, inside properly grounded 3/4" conduit of at least 10 ga for 110 volt outlets as the current wiring insulation is most likely compromised in any shop after a fire.

Image ... &gclsrc=ds


PostPosted: February 24th, 2016, 12:55 pm
by Thomasot
Дайте мне всего 5 минут, и я покажу как Вы сможете заработать 6300 рублей уже завтра. Заработать, потратив на это не больше 20 минут своего времени!

Смотри Подробности в Видео