you really can use a car transport trailer!

Re: you really can use a car transport trailer!

Postby grumpyvette » August 13th, 2012, 9:30 am

brian wrote: Hi Grumpy,

I found a 18 foot X 8 foot wide trailer I am interested in buying.
Used trailer I found on Craigslist.
1996 built.
Looks decent. Owner says frame in very good shape. No heavy rust.
Lights work. 7-pin plug harness. He has wired for 4- flat trailer harness now for his truck.
Electric brakes both axles. He never used electric brakes.
Racer owned trailer before & used for weekend track hauling duty use.
3 tires 1 year old. One tire used, unknown age. Says good tread on all tires & not dry rotted out.
Look like heavy duty trailer wheels, and trailer made duty tires installed from photos. Not typical wagon wheels.
Asked rim diameter, he thought 16" inch rims & tires.
Trailer up in Chicago area.
Have to make a road trip after work this week to check it out more in person.
If I like, likely buy it on the spot.
He is asking $1300. May able to purchase for $1200. Extra $100 saved pays for my gasoline my thinking there.
Talked to the owner on the phone 1/2 hour ago.
Seems like he is honest & ready to sell.
He used trailer once to haul a Junk BMW car to scrap metal yard once & to haul lumber wood on occasion.
Previous owner made custom steel ramps for loading race car & come with.
No electric wench.
have to use cable come along or purchase a chain link come along as you recommend & used for years prior.
Looks like a Dove tail or beaver tail trailer. Maybe 4 to 5 foot angled drop for easier vehicle loading.

Show you the link- picture later.
Not sure how to pull off of Craigslist & send to you.
Need wife's help, she is an IT person for a living. Not much good with computers myself. But getting better weekly at using them.

You ever get your old 1965 GTO back Grumpy ?
I always wanted to own a 1964 GTO. Had a chance 20 years ago to buy a 1964 GTO 4-speed. Had a 428 installed, 1969 Ram Air 3 #48 heads, Pontiac Tri- Power induction.
64 Goat sat outside a repair shop. Stopped one day & asked how much ? $4000 firm. Wish I would have bought it. regret it still today.

Brian"

Ive always regretted selling that lemans/GTO clone and would love to have it back but finances and current prices make that a remote chance at best, post pictures of that trailer , seems like a deal.
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby grumpyvette » August 13th, 2012, 9:31 am

grumpyvette wrote:
brian wrote: Hi Grumpy,

I found a 18 foot X 8 foot wide trailer I am interested in buying.
Used trailer I found on Craigslist.
1996 built.
Looks decent. Owner says frame in very good shape. No heavy rust.
Lights work. 7-pin plug harness. He has wired for 4- flat trailer harness now for his truck.
Electric brakes both axles. He never used electric brakes.
Racer owned trailer before & used for weekend track hauling duty use.
3 tires 1 year old. One tire used, unknown age. Says good tread on all tires & not dry rotted out.
Look like heavy duty trailer wheels, and trailer made duty tires installed from photos. Not typical wagon wheels.
Asked rim diameter, he thought 16" inch rims & tires.
Trailer up in Chicago area.
Have to make a road trip after work this week to check it out more in person.
If I like, likely buy it on the spot.
He is asking $1300. May able to purchase for $1200. Extra $100 saved pays for my gasoline my thinking there.
Talked to the owner on the phone 1/2 hour ago.
Seems like he is honest & ready to sell.
He used trailer once to haul a Junk BMW car to scrap metal yard once & to haul lumber wood on occasion.
Previous owner made custom steel ramps for loading race car & come with.
No electric wench.
have to use cable come along or purchase a chain link come along as you recommend & used for years prior.
Looks like a Dove tail or beaver tail trailer. Maybe 4 to 5 foot angled drop for easier vehicle loading.

Show you the link- picture later.
Not sure how to pull off of Craigslist & send to you.
Need wife's help, she is an IT person for a living. Not much good with computers myself. But getting better weekly at using them.

You ever get your old 1965 GTO back Grumpy ?
I always wanted to own a 1964 GTO. Had a chance 20 years ago to buy a 1964 GTO 4-speed. Had a 428 installed, 1969 Ram Air 3 #48 heads, Pontiac Tri- Power induction.
64 Goat sat outside a repair shop. Stopped one day & asked how much ? $4000 firm. Wish I would have bought it. regret it still today.

Brian"

Ive always regretted selling that lemans/GTO clone and would love to have it back but finances and current prices make that a remote chance at best, post pictures of that trailer , seems like a deal.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=898&p=3239&hilit=first+lemans#p3239

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=4318&p=18390&hilit=state+trailer#p18390
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 87vette81big » August 13th, 2012, 11:52 pm

Will Do that Grumpy.

Irish Mist paint on a 1965 GTO.
Very unique color & rare today.

I would like a 1966 GTO too.
Painted Midnight Blue.

BR
87vette81big

Postby grumpyvette » September 11th, 2014, 7:38 am

56sedandelivery wrote:I've been wanting a trailer for a few years now, and have looked at so many, all I got was confused for the most part, and never wound up buying one. The one I looked at yesterday finally seemed like the one to get. I did't want anything, with ANY wood in it's construction. Total length is 22 feet, 16 foot bed that can easily be extended two feet by removing the storage box, and 7 feet between the fenders. The storage box is a work of art by itself; 2 foot by 2 foot, by 7 feet long, made of aluminum diamond plate with a tilting up door/lid at each end. It also has a very unique hinge/lock mechanism to keep the lid up. There's diamond plate on the fender tops to add strength for stepping upon, and the full length of the runner/deck surface on each side. It's open in the middle. Tie downs in each corner, NEW tires, 4 wheel brakes, and baby moon hub caps (pretty dented up though). It's painted red, and it's fairly faded, chipped, and has some surface rust where the paint flaked/scraped off. What would be best to re-paint it with, by hand with a brush? Hammerite? I want something that will last, and not fade too quickly, but it is still going to be red. The lights are trashed, but it has two sets of ramps; original ones in aluminum channel, 5 feet long and straight, the other made of scrap steel, and are't original to the trailer. I've got my old flat towing light bar setup to use in repairing the lights, and have to mount a "better" license plate holder (the old plate was beat to h*ll, so it has a new one as of today). Are brake parts pretty much the same for most open trailers? Has electric brakes, and my truck already has that towing/brake setup left over from my Super Comp Dragster days. That trailer was unusual also in that I had the interior sprayed with insulating foam that really strengthened the body panels, but it made the interior look like a cave after I painted it brown. I'm going to be busy disassembling, cleaning, painting, and making some modifications. I've had a pair of 9 and 12 thousand pound electric winches waiting for a trailer to come along; I'll probably use the 12K winch, and sell the 9K. I paid $1500.00 for the trailer, the guy wanted $1800.00. My truck has given up it's parking space, at least temporarily. The plan is to start Bracket Racing again in Sportsman Class. My wife just shakes her head, but she knew full well I was a car guy/drag racer when she married me 25 years ago. Now that our daughter is out on her own, I need pick up where I left off 20 or so years ago. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

you will not believe how many times owning a car trailer becomes a critical factor in making a great deal on a project car some guy wants to sell, dirt cheap at the moment, that won,t run, or how often that having a car trailer, ownership, makes buying a project car or helping a friend move a car ,or retrieve a car that breaks at the local track,comes into play (as long as you have a truck to pull it of course)

weld on extra security loop rings, on the trailer frame and add bearing buddies
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Shop Plans, and some larger shop tool related info