Head and Cam Swap, 82 CFI

Re: Head and Cam Swap, 82 CFI

Postby 87vette81big » March 3rd, 2015, 2:51 am

Very few of these 500-600 hp Chevy builds will actually perform Drawman come Drag Race time 1/4 mile balls out.
#1 FACTOR IS THEY DON'T HAVE PROPER BIG TUBE RACE HEADERS AVAILABLE 1-7/8-2.00" PRIMARY & 3-1/2" -4.00" Exhaust collectors with Daul 3"-4"-5" exhaust.
Stahl Headers is gone. Out of business.
Dyno motion is just bench race. Proper hardware not there.
Why LS Is so hot today. Superior headers are there.

Superior headers Still available for Pontiac V8.
BBC Too.
Race Headers available should be the #1 criteria in engine builds.
No matter what you build it will never perform as expexted without correct headers.
Only engine that can do with less is Olds V8.
Has unique 6 degree valve inclination heads found in no other engine.
87vette81big

Postby Indycars » March 3rd, 2015, 8:03 am

Drawmain wrote:Thanks for the replies. It looks like based on Indycar's charts and Brian's recommendation, the 3.55's will work the best for me. I won't be drag racing the car and the RPM in 4th with the converter locked for 27" tires looks like it will be a nice trade off with the launch in 1st. Indy, those excel charts are gold! I knew there was a big rpm drop with the 700r4, but your graphs show it well. My car currently has a 2.87 rear, and while cruising at 2000 rpm at 80 mph is nice on the interstate, the rpms get too low for me at the lower speeds I find myself running on the roads I'm on the most. I'm also looking to go to a manual transmission possibly in year or two. I think the 3.55 would be better for that eventuality as well.

Thanks glad the Excel graphs/tables were a help, that's why they are there.

Have you considered what tire you will go with when yours wear out. I went
from a 28 inch tire to 31 inch tire and it was like changing gears from a 3.73
to a 3.55, so don't forget to consider your next set of tires.
Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Drawmain » March 5th, 2015, 12:12 am

Since 15 inch tires are getting scarce I may go with 17 or 18 inch wheels. I'll try to keep the 27" OD on the tire, though. It fits the wheel wells really nicely. Years ago I was a tire salesman at Goodyear, I hope I've remembered everything I learned there about tires. Back then 16's were exotic, lol
Drawmain

Postby Drawmain » March 5th, 2015, 12:17 am

Brian I know about the unavailability of headers for our vette engines, only way to get decent size primaries is to go with sidepipes and then only up to 1 3/4" if I recall correctly. That's one of the reasons I'm not going full bore race with this engine, the exhaust options just aren't there. As you say, that's one of the reasons the LS swap is so popular, better availability of headers. I'd love to see a video of the T/A racing one day.
Drawmain

Postby 87vette81big » March 5th, 2015, 9:00 am

Drawmain wrote:Brian I know about the unavailability of headers for our vette engines, only way to get decent size primaries is to go with sidepipes and then only up to 1 3/4" if I recall correctly. That's one of the reasons I'm not going full bore race with this engine, the exhaust options just aren't there. As you say, that's one of the reasons the LS swap is so popular, better availability of headers. I'd love to see a video of the T/A racing one day.

Reading other online Newsletters I subscribe too and Forums Street Racing IS IT IN 2015.
My 1970-1/2 T/A SHINE BRIGHT AGAIN.
87vette81big

Postby 87vette81big » March 5th, 2015, 9:09 am

I have yet to see a LSX knock off a Race Pontiac 455 & Race 572 BBC Street Racing Drawman.
Not saying it can't happen.
Never witnessed .
87vette81big

Postby Drawmain » March 18th, 2015, 10:02 pm

Just a little update, tuning with the EBL is going well. I will be needing 80 or 90 lb injectors to really get the best power out of this combo. Either that or really dial up the pressure with the stock injectors. 80 lb at 20psi at 85% duty cycle will support 375 hp, 90 lb at 14 psi will support 350 ish. Using the stock injectors will require close to 30 psi and I don't think the injector assemblies will handle that. I found a good Dana 44 out of an 82 on eBay, should be here Monday. My plan is to get that rebuilt with 3:54 gears, new speedo gears are already here for the 700r4. Interestingly enough, starting with a stock 305 Camaro tune, and changing the parameters for my injectors and c.i., the computer is pulling fuel throughout the lower VE ranges. Power is GOOD! Cold starts are fast, hot starts are instant. Hopefully after the rear end is sorted out I can get to a dyno and see what numbers I'm putting down. I'd like to do a run with the stock injectors, then one with the larger injectors to see the difference. The EBL has 8 slots for tunes so that shouldn't be hard to accomplish. I'll let y'all know what happens if/when I get it all done.
Drawmain

Postby Indycars » March 19th, 2015, 6:59 am

The comparison on the injectors sounds interesting, do let us know the results.

Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Previous

Return to Engine: Repairs and Modifications & generally corvette related