1982 vette idle issues

1982 vette idle issues

Postby grumpyvette » December 17th, 2014, 9:32 am

TexasDan wrote:guys I just got me a barn find in a 82. been in storage since 2010. I can get it to run but its real ruff. fuel pump, filters were changed, new plugs, wires etc... I can drive it down the road and it will just die. I can start it back up but I have to WOT to get it started.

Are there any good shops in Northwest Houston Texas I can take it too?

as usual your going to be well ahead doing some testing and having the correct FACTORY SHOP MANUAL, to refer to, and start by verifying the basics, of spark, compression,fuel pressure and volume plus, your obviously going to need to verify fuel delivery, ignition advance curve ,timing and throttle body adjustments , proper valve adjustment and proper sensor function, and without a shop manual to look up the values your supposed to be setting things for or values you need to verify and a few tools like a multi meter and vacuum gauge and timing light that will be far more difficult.
An hour spent reading links and sub links NOW can save you days of frustrating guess work
http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp? ... ted_media=

that twin tb systems not that difficult to work on, the first thing ID do if it was my car would be to, verify the fuel pressure at the TB inlets correct and set the ignition timing, and verify the voltage from the alternator, and battery.then I'd take off the TB's one at a time and use a full can of throttle body cleaner on each after partial dis-assembly to get them clean, next suggestion would be to add a can of injector cleaner to the fuel tank. then check all the fuses, look for loose electrical connections and vacuum lines and Id strongly suggest adjusting the valves and an oil and oil filter change, ID strongly suggest checking all the fuses, and looking for vacuum leaks. and ID replace the oil pressure switch as they have a well known track record for being intermittently defective, which can make you nuts tracking that issue down,ID also suggest replacing the distributor cap and rotor as older,components, with wear and internal deposits tend to cause ignition issues, and get out a multi meter and replace any ignition wire that reads over about 2000 ohms per foot. and ON BOTH THROTTLE BODYS, ID verify the TPS is set correctly, and ID clean and verify the IAC is also and if not replace it.
ID also verify exhaust back-pressure as an older partially clogged catalytic converter is a common issue , on those corvettes.
yes there are throttle body rebuilders and parts
you can easily fabricate a low cost yet very accurate,custom built MANOMETER
(fancy word for a tool that allows you to balance and equalize the flow rates of the two throttle bodys on the cross fire intake manifold
and just as important, LEARN HOW TO CORRECTLY USE IT!

READING THE LINKS AND SUB LINKS WILL PROVIDE A TON OF ADDITIONAL RELATED INFO YOULL NEED!
http://www.throttlebodyinjection.com/?g ... 7AodMS8A8A

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=g58drf76n90cbra6nih4detdi1

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10096&p=39710&hilit=cross+fire+balance#p39710

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=640&p=25767&hilit=cross+fire+balance#p25767

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=495

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=882&p=45944&hilit=+propane+torch+leaks#p45944

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=875&p=39956&hilit=lights+timing#p39956

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=196&p=35392&hilit=adjusting+rocker#p35392

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=2798
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Engine: Repairs and Modifications & generally corvette related