the c4-bbc engine swap

Re: the c4-bbc engine swap

Postby Provette » July 26th, 2012, 7:21 pm

grumpyvette wrote:have you got more pictures/of that big block chevy/c4 swap
is that your corvette?

Yes & Yes, see below
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Provette

Postby grumpyvette » July 26th, 2012, 7:34 pm

The more detailed info we can get posted in this thread the better, so Ill ask a few questions Im sure many of the guys want answered who have yet to dio this swap and hopefully get your perspective.
as IM sure you have found these are not a really common swap and you need to find someone who really understands what went into building the car before they can appreciate what you have.
Ive helped several people do this swap, and in my mind popping the hood and seeing a 502-572 big block chevy is a great idea, that chevy screwed up royally not doing from the factory
any info you can add, especially with pictures would be great.
Im going to do my own big block swap as soon as I finish collecting all the parts, but being on a fixed income moneys been tight.
I have the 4l80e and a dana 60 rear, and several big block engines but its the little stuff that adds up and untill I have everything Im waiting,and learning on the guys cars I help work on.
could you go into detail about your swap, Ive helped do 7 of these big block swaps, in the last 12 years, and without fail, every time I learn more and find out I can do things just a bit differently.
and I find none of the swaps Ive seen others do are exactly the same either?
,what were the problems you found?,
what radiator did you use/
what cooling fans?
what were the things you did that worked out well?
things you would do differently?
what size engine?
what transmission?
If its an auto what converter stall?
any issues during the install?
and custom parts?
what oil pan,did you use? did you need to do and oil pan or frame mods?
and how much ground clearance?,
what headers? (part number brand etc.) what size exhaust pipes how did you route them?
exhaust ? (pictures under the car?)
what rear differential did you use? did you find wheel clearance or the brakes or suspension were a problems
I was really hoping you could respond with some info, and possibly a few more pictures as finding experienced guys who have completes a big block / c4 swap is a rather exclusive club and while each and every one of these swaps is rather unique theres also by default a good deal of similarity's and the more individual in site and pictures we can get posted the better for everyone it will be whose contemplating doing this swap
being on a tight fixed income and retired due to medical reasons is a P..I.T.A. but like most older guys I know Ill eventually have my dream car built

GOT AN LS engine swap?
http://www.mastmotorsports.com/view.php?id=160&c=49&s=7
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Indycars » July 30th, 2012, 7:39 pm

Provette wrote:
grumpyvette wrote:have you got more pictures/of that big block chevy/c4 swap
is that your corvette?

Yes & Yes, see below

Very, very nice car obvisiously!!!

X2 on more pictures, especially under the covers pictures would be nice! Is this a daily driver or stricly race or maybe somewhere in between???

Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby grumpyvette » November 16th, 2012, 6:34 pm

above you'll find pictures of the exhaust on a c4 corvette on a 4 post lift, that show how limited the room is to route the exhaust, this obviously requires careful measurement and fabrication
http://www.jenvey.co.uk/
http://store.summitracing.com/parts/hed-68090
to get any big block engine to breath and produce decent power you need a low restriction exhaust, now custom headers can easily cost over $1000, but there are a few options, these headmen headers for a 1970 big block corvette can be adapted to fit a c4 big block swap, the drivers side needs some tube re-routing work, as one tube hits, but the pass sides almost a drop in, the collectors can also be modified if youve got welding skill by cutting off the original short collectors and adding the much more effective 4/2/1 extended collectors, both are available from summit racing for a total cost of under $350 but obviously getting them ready takes some fabrication and welding skills.
just be aware you need to figure out the rest of the exhaust an id strongly suggest nothing smaller than 3" pipes
http://store.summitracing.com/parts/flo-c200250350

BTW on my last BIG BLOCK C4 swap I had TWO 3" (X) pipes and got a bit creative and well built a DUAL (X) exhaust that was similar to this PICTURE BELOW. the result was a rather unique exhaust tone, a nice smooth rumble note in the sound and a very nice smooth low and mid rpm torque curve, now Im not sure if the exhaust mod added or subtracted from the power curve because I didn,t try it with a different exhaust config. but I got the strong impression that it helped, I know it made the sound distinctive and more mellow

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/x-pipes ... t_139.html

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance- ... Id=1130498

http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/107 ... tId=759589

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-1 ... dia/images
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby grumpyvette » February 23rd, 2013, 6:14 pm

grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby grumpyvette » March 6th, 2013, 4:16 pm

some options on building a custom built 9" ford based center section for an independent rear suspension differential, now if you can weld and have access to a decent machine shop you obviously have other options but its nice to see new suppliers

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestor ... px?id=3498

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/kit-car-m ... r-self-kit
Product Description
We have been getting a lot of calls from people wanting to put our Independent 9" kit under everything from a Subaru WRX to a Street Rod, so we decided to come up with this do-it-yourself kit that will allow a talented fabricator to put this diff under just about any car. The rear will be 17.25" from flange to flange when assembled and comes with the bare case, the 31 spline 1400HP stubs (new 33 spline stubs coming soon) and also a ring that will mount on the front of the differential pinion support so you have something to weld your front brackets to. Give us a call for more info!!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby grumpyvette » May 10th, 2013, 7:31 pm

cutter1 took this pictures of his big block chevy C4 corvette install process

hood scoop related info
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=353&p=5243&hilit=hood+scoop#p5243

TEST FITTING THE BIG BLOCK ENGINE IN THE c4 CORVETTE

modified HEADMAN bbc 1970 corvette headers to fit the 1985-96 corvette with a big block

modified evaporator cover in pass side engine compartment to get clearance for big block engine install

CUSTOM ACCESSORY BRACKETS
remember the lower radiator hose has an internal spring to prevent it collapsing under suction from the water pump, failure to use a re-enforced lower can cause a flow restriction and potential over heating issues

IF your going to need to fabricate a custom lower radiator hose, you might want to install a convenient drain

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... ator+drain

When you go to look for a lower radiator hose you can either use a long flexible generic radiator hose or two shorter hoses clamped to as short section of stainless exhaust pipe curved section, or you might find that the only reasonable option is to fabricate /weld some curved sections of appropriate size stainless exhaust pipe, and use short sections of rubber hose with clamps to route coolant

or fabricate something similar to that new exhaust header primary pipe after careful measurement and test fitting
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby grumpyvette » August 12th, 2013, 1:23 pm

FOUND THIS POST ON A DIFFERENT FORUM

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=8961&p=31945&hilit=duct+hood+cool#p31945

"Did this swap on a customers car (it was more of a race car).

Details of my experience doing a C4 BBC swap:

1) Custom headers make the swap a BREEZE. (I have some custom used 2" jethot coated longtube headers for sale for a BBC c4 swap for sale, email me ltmotorsport@hotmail.com) They give you more room than the small block headers did! you can work on the motor EASY.

2) Dont move the rack. Just use a flat single groove crank pulley, short 64 396 chevelle style water pump (use pulley spacers to line up) and make your own altenator bracket etc.

3) Take out the A/C box and life is easy.

4) The windshield wiper motor is going to hit. i just took it off.

5) Use the stock small block motor mounts bolted to the BBC engine.

6) Cowl hood or a REALLY low intake.

The headers are the hardest part really. Its really just a drop in easy swap.

The car weighed 3300 lbs (/w driver) and dynoed 468 rwhp on motor. It ran a 10.7 @ 125 on pump gas. 12 mpg. Dana 44 3.73 gears, TH350 3500 converter.
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby grumpyvette » September 6th, 2013, 9:35 am

btw if you want to go with EFI theres a dozen options

accel makes an intake manifold that makes a decent start point but it will obviously require a hood scoop for clearance

if you have deep pockets KINSLER makes some darn impressive EFI intakes
http://www.hilborninjection.com/product ... &CatId=174

THEN THEIRS ALWAYS WEBERS
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/add ... ewall.html
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=4302&p=12406&hilit=weber#p12406
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby grumpyvette » February 14th, 2014, 9:55 am

there have been guys that have the financial resources or connections and or skills to have built an independent rear differential , based on the far stronger DANA 60 vs the factory supplied dana 36 or dana 44 , which are comparable to the G.M. 10 bolt rears, hardly impressive or known for strength or durability, to fit the corvette frame, obviously this takes a good deal of time,effort and money but it also can result in an exceptionally strong rear differential
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby grumpyvette » March 15th, 2014, 1:41 pm

grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Engine: Repairs and Modifications & generally corvette related