Walde's -86 L98

Re: Walde's L98

Postby Walde » January 19th, 2013, 6:47 am

Thanks gtr1999 for additional info. Hope we won't be too afraid to dive in the differential when the time comes. :oops:
Walde

Postby Walde » January 19th, 2013, 6:54 am

We measured and aligned the original GM bellhousing today and got it within ± 0.050 mm ie. ± 0.002" with help of Lakewood offset dowel pins. Don't know if that is a good result but that's what we got it to.

Sorry about the crappy photo.

Walde

Postby Walde » January 26th, 2013, 11:39 am

Winter is long and dark so why not dive inside the diff...

I wanted to change the seals just in case so after disassembly we opened the cover - was a bit worried what we might find but everything seemed OK and cleanish so that was positive. It appears that somebody has been inside there for some reason as the right side yoke seal was changed and there were two millimeter sized seals on top of each other. There were no leaks so they seem to have worked.

Teeth etc. were nice so that was a big burden off my shoulders.

Hardest job today was to get the old batwing corner bushings off. They were stuck but with suitable sleeves etc. we got them out. Progressive Suspension poly bushes went in without too much drama. Which is nice.
Walde

Postby Indycars » January 26th, 2013, 12:46 pm

Thanks for posting the nice pictures. Seems you've had the rear end out since last November, you need slow down and take your time! :P You don't want to make any mistakes! :D

Went back and scanned the 15 pages of your thread and found the dyno pull on youtube. That was a pretty funny ending to the pull !!!

Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby mathd » January 26th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Indycars wrote:
Thanks for posting the nice pictures. Seems you've had the rear end out since last November, you need slow down and take your time! :P You don't want to make any mistakes! :D

Went back and scanned the 15 pages of your thread and found the dyno pull on youtube. That was a pretty funny ending to the pull !!!

I did miss that? you still have the link close by?
Mathieu
mathd

Postby Indycars » January 26th, 2013, 4:18 pm

It won't be hard to find, since I was just there! All the info is on page 10.

Here you go.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCDhNMuMD10

Walde wrote:The build sheet is pretty much this with some minor options:

http://www.ultrastreet.net/engines/427_realstreet.asp

The cam is a Comp Cams hydraulic roller with Shafiroff's specs with around 230/236 degrees@.050". I have the cam spec sheet at work. I'll post the details tomorrow.

Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Walde » January 27th, 2013, 3:34 pm

Indycars wrote:

I do feel exhausted with all this work. Time to take it easy for a while. :mrgreen:
Walde

Postby Walde » February 6th, 2013, 12:36 pm

Was a good nap. :mrgreen:

My OD is noisy but I got another 4+3 from a friend who said his OD is good but 2nd gear on the trans is shot so getting ready to swap the ODs this week.

I'm fairly sure that I will need to be looking at a Tremec TKO next winter. Keisler is the only source for a plug and play-kit for a C4 I reckon.
Walde

Postby grumpyvette » February 6th, 2013, 3:12 pm

BY far the most common cause for those rear over drive units failing that Ive seen is owners failing to maintain the fluid level in the transmissions rear unit, Ive seen numerous OD units that were run virtually DRY

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/kb/ ... RK6i2f6k1A
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Walde » February 7th, 2013, 4:16 pm

Yep, that would be disastrous.

I wonder how many owners actually knew what they had iunder their cars ie. if the owners were interested in such technical details at all? Anyway, I have to start saving money for a TKO-600.
Walde

Postby grumpyvette » February 7th, 2013, 4:37 pm

Id bet the vast majority of owners were totally clueless about the maintenance requirements of the transmissions O.D. unit.
Id bet getting guys to sit down and read the owners manual is about as easy as getting guys to read thru all the links and sub links in these threads!
I,m constantly amazed at the number of times I post a link, in answer to a question that's been asked,here on this site, and the question they ask next is discussed IN DEPTH in one of that posted links SUB LINKS
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Walde » January 6th, 2015, 11:16 am

Well, here is a short update from last spring:

We had the engine hanging from the hoist and were putting it in the engine bay when we noticed that the 7 litre Canton 15-240T oil pan in place the engine will not fit in without dismounting the bellhousing and distributor and perhaps even something else.

This left me gutted and I decided to bury the whole thing a year or two.
Walde

Previous

Return to Engine: Repairs and Modifications & generally corvette related