Hose Clamp Pliers, tube beading and clamps

Hose Clamp Pliers, tube beading and clamps

Postby bytor » January 19th, 2014, 1:43 pm

Added a new tool to the collection the other day. I went to replace my radiator hoses on my Pontiac G6 and realized there was no way to remove them with regular hand tools. I didn’t have enough room to access them to cut them off either. So I figured there had to be a tool for this and $30 later from Amazon I got one.

Works like a champ. Very easy use and no problems accessing the clamps. Very cool tool.

photo 1.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My 383 build photos
bytor

Re: Hose Clamp Pliers

Postby grumpyvette » January 19th, 2014, 2:29 pm

great! thanks for posting that, its obviously a nice option to have in your tool box

sears sells something similar
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-cable-op ... ockType=G1
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Indycars » January 19th, 2014, 4:41 pm

I hate you!!! :lol:

Why couldn't you have posted this a couple of months ago? My Park Avenue
is front wheel drive, so the V6 sits side ways. I'm working against the firewall,
eventually I got it, but not before some words were flying around my driveway.

Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby grumpyvette » January 19th, 2014, 6:14 pm

Indycars wrote:
I hate you!!! :lol:

Why couldn't you have posted this a couple of months ago? My Park Avenue
is front wheel drive, so the V6 sits side ways. I'm working against the firewall,
eventually I got it,
but not before some words were flying around my driveway.

THAT is part of the CHARACTER BUILDING PROCESS :mrgreen: :lol: :D... that some jobs just naturally bring to this hobby! Theres been a few rare times .... times I could make a marine drill instructor blush!, just have a wrench slip and dislocate a couple finger joints and you might be amazed at the increased vocabulary , you can think up....you might be able to kill flowers at 30 feet, with the vile acidic words that spew out, if your really creative!

http://www.cjponyparts.com/lower-radiat ... 3/p/HW769/
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Indycars » January 19th, 2014, 6:54 pm

Sounds like I could learn a few words from you! Sometimes I just can't come up
with enough really nasty words quickly, to release all my anger in under 10 seconds. :D

Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby grumpyvette » March 25th, 2015, 9:28 pm

most of you know there are different types of hose clamps, but most of you may not understand the differences in strength,quality,dependability and what should be used.
most guys use the worm gear clamps as they function, they are dirt cheap compared to most quality clamps and they rarely fail, if not over tightened if they are not rusted, but they can be hard to start and can cross thread and break rather easily, its best to think of them as one time use.
THERES THE FAR STRONGER AND MORE DURABLE T-BOLT CLAMP
the even better spring loaded t-bolt clamp that self adjusts slightly to maintain a firm clamp force

the wire band clamps that have the nasty habit of cutting into hoses and causing leaks

[b]spring/ring clamps that are fast for a manufacturer with the correct tool to install but usually a true P.I.T.A. for the home mechanic to deal with[/b]

IF YOU WANT A DAMN NEAR 100% RELIABLE CLAMP FOR A HIGH PRESSURE APPLICATION YOULL WANT TO READ THIS AND USE THE SPRING LOADED T-BOLT CLAMPS

MPandC posted this
Had someone stop by the shop needing to add a bead to the end of the aluminum tubing he had to install in his Cobra project. He had trimmed one end for a better fit and needed to replace the bead for the radiator hose...
......to match the other end.

The dies on the bead roller were much too large in diameter, so I thought to make a manual device out of a pair of vise grips... Once the teeth start to wear these make ideal candidates for purpose-built tools. For the punch part of the tool, started with a thick 5/8 washer and gave the edges a nice radius in the lathe.

The vise grip bottom teeth were welded in and sanded smoothed to provide a flat area for the punch to push against (for less marking of the tubing), then an 1/8" thick 3" dia cut off wheel provided the recess in the lower jaw of the vise grips.

The washer was notched and bent to better fit the vise grips for welding....

Masking tape added to use as a reference/stop mark to align against end of vise grip jaw.

The vise grips with their adjustable jaw setting work well to make one revolution, then adjust tighter, etc..
Finished product....

obviously HAVING a welder, and the skill to use its required, and a bit of thinking was required, BUT considering a commercial BEAD tool costs $100 for each size tubing thats a HUGE POTENTIAL bargain

http://www.streetperformance.com/m/cats ... oller.html
http://www.streetperformance.com/part/e ... 4-016.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-cu ... 91684.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-cur ... 39639.html

If your thinking of building a set, thats the perfect use for those import clone version vise grips,or an older set of rusty vise grips you find at a yard sale, as the low cost, allows you to modify the vise grip pliers and you don,t mind so much if they require welding on them or pitching them in the dumpster, if you screw it up
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Tools, Procedures, and Testing trouble shooting