new engine won,t turn

new engine won,t turn

Postby grumpyvette » August 19th, 2012, 10:05 am

"Hey grumpy? my newly assembled engine will not turn, I need help badly
ok so I lifted engine and re torqued at 65lb and clearance was .002 on the main bearings,so i loosen all the main bearings caps to try to get it to turn wouldn't budge. loosen up connecting rods to see if it could turn wouldn't budge completely stuck.
any more ideas?

main bearing caps dont show wear
connecting rods didnt show wear either

completely stuck need help bad "

failure to use the correct oil pump,mounting stud, bolt or nut or carefully check clearances when mounting an oil pump can cause problems
ONE RATHER COMMON MISTAKE IS USING THE WRONG OIL PUMP STUD OR BOLT TO MOUNT THE OIL PUMP AS IF EITHER EXTENDS THRU THE REAR MAIN CAP IT CAN AND WILL BIND ON THE BEARING AND LOCK OR RESTRICT, SMOOTH ROTATION

Ill post a few fairly common screw up areas you can check, and yeah ! I know your 100% sure you did everything correctly, but thats not true or the problem would not exist!,
TAKE THE TIME AND EFFORT TOO READ THE LINKS AND SUB LINKS ,THERES A TON OF RELATED INFO

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1738&p=4333&hilit=+number+stamp#p4333

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2134&p=5748#p5748

(1) connecting rods have a beveled side that faces the crank counter weight, and a non-beveled side that faces the matched rod in the pair, get one ot both reversed and the crank binds

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=4690&p=12703&hilit=rods+bevel#p12703

(2)rings need to be properly gaped, failure to get the ring gap correct will result in the piston locked in the bore or excessive ring to bore wall drag

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=509&p=12277&hilit=ring+gaps#p12277

(3) bearing clearances must be carefully verified, not assumed to be correct

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2726&p=7873&hilit=clearances+plastic#p7873

(4) cam to rod and connecting rod to block clearances need to be checked, piston to cylinder head clearance, cam lobe to connecting rod clearance, rocker to rocker stud slot clearance, spring bind height, retainer to valve guide and a several other areas need to be checked

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=38

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18&p=16221&hilit=small+base+circle#p16221

(5) valve train clearances and adjustment must be checked

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=399

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=196&p=325&hilit=stud%2C+pump#p325

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=181

(6)degreeing the cam in or at least checking the cams index is critical

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=5520

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=5341

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=4957

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=4548

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=528

(7) if you install a piston with the wrong side facing out toward the spark plug location,or the wrong valve pocket on the piston facing forward it can cause the engine to bind

(8) the wrong length bolt or stud on the oil pump mount can bind the rear main bearing in its bore

check to verify the caps face the correct direction, its entirely possible to install them facing the wrong direction and get that result
READ THRU THE LINKS AND SUB LINKS
http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6162&p=19172&hilit=main+caps+dowels#p19172

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=5945&p=18302&hilit=main+caps+arrow#p18302

theres many more potential screw-ups but check those carefully
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Tools, Procedures, and Testing trouble shooting