Piston Coating & Deburring

Piston Coating & Deburring

Postby Indycars » January 29th, 2011, 2:53 pm

I wanted to confirm that the only place I should be concerned about the coating on these Mahle pistons are the dark gray areas on the piston skirts shown below by the red oval.
DSC00359Resized_Comments.jpg

I am going polish the tops and break the sharp edges indicated by the red arrow, as long as this does NOT have a coating.
DSC00362Resized_Comments.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Piston Coating & Deburring

Postby grumpyvette » January 30th, 2011, 9:28 am

most shops that, customize pistons round off any sharp edges, cut the piston valve clearance, notches and polish the pistons to reduce heat absorption and reduce detonation, and some coat the pistons coat the top surface with a thermal barrier coating, some match it with a combustion chamber thermal barrier coating , the coating your showing is designed to hold oil and reduce friction

Thermal Barriers - Here, the obvious areas are the combustion space and exhaust gas path, and especially with turbos or nitrous. As mentioned earlier, my first and disappointing experience coating piston crowns showed power gains but damaged parts. Fortunately, with today's coatings technology, such problems are passe. So as you might expect, coating piston tops (and bottoms), combustion chambers (in certain applications), the faces of intake and exhaust valves, and complete header systems with these type of heat-retention coatings can be of particular benefit. Keep in mind that power equates with heat in a controlled environment. Therefore, combustion heat lost to cooling systems, combustion surfaces (all of them), and along the exhaust path can combine to reduce net power. Your best bet is to either consult with your choice of parts manufacturer already providing coated parts, or identify a good supplier of coatings materials if you elect to do the job yourself. And don't rule out the latter. Given the current state of some "kits" that are user-friendly to the engine builder, you can also get good results by these methods.
Race Engine Coatings
This camshaft has a new pro...

read full caption
Race Engine Coatings
This camshaft has a new pro plasma nitriding process that enhances the performance all around. Courtesy of Comp Cams

Thermal Dispersants - Wherever you find that heat buildup is a concern, these are the materials to consider. Such components as brake parts, oil pans, radiators and intake manifolds all can fall into the need for rapid heat transfer or control. In areas where continual and/or repeated temperature spikes occur and you need to move heat more quickly away from these locations, consider these coatings to be of value.

Dry Film Lubricants - Remember, simply stated, friction horsepower is the arithmetic difference between indicated horsepower and brake horsepower. Therefore, the lower the friction horsepower, the higher the brake horsepower. So, by the use of dry film lubricants in areas that will net a reduction in friction horsepower, you can expect net power gained at the flywheel. Also expect a reduction in both surface and component operating temperatures. Applicable parts include valve springs, engine bearings, camshafts, and piston skirts and pins. Once again, you have the options of either selecting precoated parts or consulting with one of the coatings providers. Should you decide on the first option, it's wise to spend time talking with the manufacturer about the material (and its benefits) on any precoated component.

you might want to read thru these threads and their sub links

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2610&p=6737&hilit=coating+thermal#p6737

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=501&p=11829&hilit=clay+clearance#p11829

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=4472&p=11747&hilit=domes#p11747

THERMAL BARRIER DESIGNED TO REDUCE HEAT TRANSFER< AND INCREASE POWER

oil shedding coating on the under surface of the piston designed to speed heat transfer and reduce oil retention to reduce weight

outer skirt coating designed to increase wear resistance and retain oil film

IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Indycars » January 30th, 2011, 12:02 pm

That's interesting, I didn't know that there were ways of doing HP coatings yourself.

I did want to confirm, if you can tell from the photos, that there is NOT a coating on pistons other than the skirts. Just want to make sure before I start breaking the sharp edges.
Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby grumpyvette » January 30th, 2011, 12:14 pm

I can,t tell from the pictures you posted but in most cases theres no coating unless you specifically ordered it on,the piston,in most cases, if there is a thermal barrier, its a coating that resembles powder coating and its slightly textured, and not the same smooth aluminum,appearance, if there is a coating

Id strongly suspect your dealing with a aluminum surface that can be smoothed and polished to give you a good heat reflective Finnish , if you care to take the time and effort required a bit of combustion chamber polishing and smoothing to match helps also