yes the oil filter you sellect does make a differance

Re: yes the oil filter you sellect does make a differance

Postby grumpyvette » July 20th, 2013, 11:25 am

yes sorry for brief the brain fart, typo,YES I meant drain back

yes the BYE-PASS IN THE OIL FILTER DOES normally open on cold mornings, or under rapid changes in engine rpms, especially before the heat from the engine lowers the oils effective viscosity, Im fairly sure you have heard or remember hearing advise not to go doing stupid stuff like burn outs in your drive way until the engines reached and maintains operational temps
(usually oil and coolant has reached 190F-215F) well one big reason is that thicker oil viscosity when oils cooler ,takes a good deal more pressure to force thru the filter medium, once the oils fairly hot it flows better, and requires less pressure as it offers less resistance to flow thru the engines clearances and thru the filter, that in turn means that hot oil with its thinner effective viscosity tends to be far less likely to force open the filter bye-pass circuit and that means oil bye-passing the filter medium is far less likely to drag metallic trash held in suspension with it to reach the bearings to cause more rapid wear.
BUYING A TOOL and DOING SOME PERSONAL LOOKING AT THE INTERNAL PARTS HELPS
guys reading these threads might be amazed at what they see , once they start looking for facts with a tool that allows a close visual inspection of a filters internal components rather than makes un-informed random guesses.
actually knowing what your dealing with is helpful,reading some links and doing research is also much more likely to produce informed answers than engaging in a (IS TOO! VS IS NOT! ) style discussion with someone else whos equally un-informed, like many of the threads posted on dozens of sites seem to be fated to be!
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Indycars » July 25th, 2013, 3:42 pm

While searching for more info I learned that just because a manufacture has a line of Racing Filters like shown below, that doesn't mean they are going to filter better than their standard line of filters. What it does mean is they are going to flow more volume with the same or less pressure drop. Race cars are normally very well maintained and they need above all else a good flow of oil thru the engine. Chances are the race teams will change oil so frequently that their oil NEVER get anywhere near as dirty as the family car and the standard filter with the lower micron rating.

The numbers I remember reading, the standard Wix filter is rated at 21 microns and their Racing Filter is rated at 32 microns. Therefore allowing the racing filter to flow better.

NOTE: To find the info below you have to register for Wix Connect.

WixRacingOilFilterData.JPG

WixRacingFuelFilterData.JPG

WixRacingAirFilterData.JPG

Below is a nice view of the Drainback Valve.

WixAntiDrainBackValve.JPG

For the immediate future I've decided on the Wix 51061 non racing filter. It does not have either the drainback valve or bypass valve. Tell me if I'm wrong, but the filter adapter has a bypass in it, so no use in duplicating the same valve in the filter.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wix-51061

WIX-51061_ml.jpg

FilterAdapter.jpg

Comments and opinion are welcome!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby 87vette81big » July 25th, 2013, 9:33 pm

Your right Rick.
That is a primary oil filter bypass valve.
Some choose to use stock as is.
The theory is in very cold weather operation or high volume oil demands it opens.
Bypassing filter. Or if filter plugged.
Some Choose to use an aftermarket oil filter adapter with no bypass valve
On Pontiac V8 & Oldsmobile V8 engines I block off the factory bypass valve by Tapping for 3/8" NPT plug.
3/4" aluminum to tap into.
SBC & BBC Oil filter adapter has Around 1/16" aluminum to tap into .
Really can't do on Chevrolet safe blocking bypass.
Aftermarket like Moroso required.

Confusing choices yes.
I choose to block off.
Up to you.
Right or wrong at your own discretion.
87vette81big

Postby Indycars » July 26th, 2013, 8:21 am

Those two valves in the filter are most likely very reliable, but the
simpler the better in my opinion.

Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby 87vette81big » July 26th, 2013, 9:55 am

Research carefully. Rick.
All Chevrolet small time engine builders I know use the factory GM
bolt in oil filter adapter bypass valve.
Its discontinued by General Motors.
Available new aftermarket by Dorman.
Push down on the disc valve with a small screwdriver.
Feel spring preload. Not sure of Blowoff pressure specs.
On Pontiac, Olds,& Buick V8 engine it only takes a few pounds pressure to open.
Chevrolet seems to use a stronger spring to seat phelonic plastic disc tighter.

Likely going to use an aftermarket Moroso billet aluminum oil filter adapter with no bypass valve on my 410.
87vette81big

Postby grumpyvette » July 30th, 2014, 1:40 pm

I recently went out to the shop and started looking for the correct oil filter for a buddies car, now I have several dozen different oil filters on my shelves simply because over the years I've owned several cars or worked on several cars and make it a habit to buy oil filters in multiples and oil by the case , but that has now resulted in having dozens of assorted oil filters for cars that I or my friends may or may not still own, and as a result at times I find that the oil filter I pull off a car may or may not have a ready replacement on the shelf, which usually results in a trip to the local auto parts store for a new filter and yet one or two more filters sitting on the shelf for later use.
now I have a few charts and some of the more common filter numbers Ive memorized over the years
but if anyone happens to have found several good cross reference sites with charts, I can post here, please post links as I'm surely not the only person with several oil filters sitting on a shelf that they are not 100% sure of as to what application they fit

these links can be useful but if you find others please post them

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Applic ... ?Section=1

http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com ... /Wix/31372

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/res ... Guide.aspx

http://www.ecompressedair.com/filtratio ... 7Aod7V0AjA

and yes I,M aware the the obvious answer is to post a list on a clip board
on a chain on that shelf with the filter number and the car(s) and ENGINES each of those filters is designed too fit. so to help out both the sites members and my self Ill post the partial filter numbers list I have in stock and the car/engines they are listed to fit

1985 corvette
FRAM-ph30
PL20049
WIX 51069
mercury grand marquis
NAPA 31036
WIX 51061
PL 24651
NAPA 1061

1996 corvette
pure L14006
WIX 51036

NAPA -1036
PURE 24011

2003 AVALANCHE CHEVY TRUCK
WIX 51042

1996 ford 302
wix 51515
PL10111
PURE L30001
PURE L20045
PURE 14006

1996 ford 351
wix 51372

PURE FUEL F33144
CARQUEST FUEL 5277
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Oil and Lube Systems