Engine stand bolt sizes?

Engine stand bolt sizes?

Postby chromebumpers » January 15th, 2013, 1:02 am

When using an engine stand, what size are the bolts holding the block? Are certain bolt holes only used? Talking about a small block Chevy, I'm guessing other makes are different.
Rich
chromebumpers

Re: Engine stand bolt sizes?

Postby grumpyvette » January 15th, 2013, 10:04 am

youll usually need (4) 3.5" long 3/8" NC thread ,grade #8 bolts that have several 3/8" fender washers slid on before they get inserted in the engine stand tool head, Id advise buying at least three to six extra 3/8" finder washers for each mount bolt, an if you slip a 2.75" section of 3/8" fuel line over the bolt shank before inserting the bolts in the tool head they tend to stay centered and are less likely to fall out as the engines mounted. try hard to center the engines rotating mass in line with the tool head, having it bolted way off center makes turning the engine around on the stand a huge P.I.T.A. and more dangerous.
BTW

Ive generally found its far less trouble to have the tool head removed temporarily from the engine stand and attach it to the engine while its hanging from the engine crane, because it far less trouble to slide the engine stand tool head back into the stand rotating collar than it is to be screwing around with 4 individual mount bolts.

VIDEO
http://www.ehow.com/video_2327468_tips- ... stand.html
(DON,T FORGET TO GREASE THE TOOL HEAD COLLAR and STAND ROTATING TOOL HEAD with a good molly GREASE, before re-sliding it together)
most of the rotating heads come with a 18" lever that makes rotating the engine a HUGE pain in the ass, Ive found that a 34" section of steel tube about the same diameter as the original handle with a section of THREAD rod that just slides thru it makes a far more useable handle with much more leverage, I cut the thread rod so its about 1.4" longer than the 34" tube so I can weld a nut and washer on one end and use a washer and nylock nut on the other.

BE AWARE that most engine stands have legs that are too wide to allow the engine crane to easily be positioned to allow easy engine mounting on the engine stand, if you have some welding skill and are willing to fabricate an extra set of engine stand leg mount brackets or use the taller casters that allow the engine stand to slide in easier this is fairly easy to rectify
probably a better design but not foldable
[color=#BF0000] I like what you did, that looks nice,btw,
Ive got two types of engine stands designs in my shop,(4 engine stands)but I added 4 of these wheels to each stand
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200442439
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200305213
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2986&p=7842&hilit=stand+thread+bolts#p7842

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=139&p=169&hilit=stand+bolts#p169

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1018&p=2304&hilit=stand+bolts#p2304

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3724&p=9669&hilit=stand+bolts#p9669
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Engine stand bolt sizes?

Postby chromebumpers » January 15th, 2013, 11:41 pm

Thanks Paul! If I were 30 years younger I would be begging you for a non-paid internship!
Rich
chromebumpers

Return to Tools and Procedures