so whats your impression of the site?

Re: so whats your impression of the site?

Postby ironman417 » July 14th, 2010, 5:54 pm

i love this site i qot quite a bit of info for my C4 Big Block project
Good job Grumpy!!!!!!!! :D
ironman417

Postby Indycars » July 15th, 2010, 9:46 am

Have you tried to optimize the your website so that search engines will link users here. It will make a difference the higher you can get ranked on the search engines. I seldom go past the 2nd or 3rd page on Google. Step # 4 in the link below "Make sure that all the pages of the site have custom titles and descriptions" would be easy and no cost to you.
http://www.wikihow.com/Improve-Search-Engine-Ranking

This site looked particularly appropriate for increasing your hits on the search engines. Check out the links on the left side.
http://www.seologic.com/guide/

Try to get links to your site on other websites, have any friends that are administrators on other sites that would be willing to help you out???

I've noticed that several times you have used light colors such as lime green. I have to drag the mouse over the text and highlight it so I can read it. I like the colors, but stay with the darker colors for readability.

As everyone will agree that comes here, there is a wealth of info, to the point of being overwhelming. In the threads there are so many links that I loose sight of my original question, many times I get off on a tangent. I'm not sure if I should read the entire first thread and then go back and check the links OR should I follow the links as I get to them. I've been reading all the way thru the thread first, this seem to work best for me. I'm not sure what you could do to improve this, just an observation on my part.

When I try to "Preview" my reply, it's consistently very slow. Most everything else seems good, not sure what would cause this.

It seems when I tried to submit a PDF file with my Sonic Test Results, the site would not accept it. I had to convert it to a JPG file, some people may just give up and not post the file. My test results would be much harder to understand without the attachment, small detail maybe, but I think it made a big difference to understanding the problem. I'm sure somewhere its probably stated what's acceptable, but putting the file extensions right next to the "Browse" button would be very helpful.

I almost hate to see you get more traffic, I like having a personal consultant. :) I had several suggestions, but please know that I truly enjoy your website and you could not chase me away with a stick if you never changed a single item.

All you do is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Rick Miller
Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby grumpyvette » July 15th, 2010, 10:42 am

thank you! I appreciate the in sight & input!
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bob » November 27th, 2010, 6:42 pm

HEY GRUMPY?
Ive noticed that occasionally Ill go back and use some post I previously read thru as a quick reference and theres either been additional info or links added to the posts???? or I must have missed the info the first time I read the post,? am I just missing things the first time thru or are you adding things later.
bob

Postby grumpyvette » November 27th, 2010, 7:54 pm

any time I can add good additional information or a chart or diagram that may make things easier to understand or if I run into a good related link or bit of info Ill go back and insert that info where it may help clarify the info in the thread, so yes the threads do occasionally get upgraded , or have more links or more diagrams or charts as I can make things easier to understand or clearer.
After all the whole reason the site exists is to allow the newer guys to make fewer mistakes , and have an easy reference location for the older guys and not need to go thru all the B.S. most of us old geezers had to go thru before we understood how things really work
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sleeve396 » June 3rd, 2011, 12:18 am

[b]Grumpy, this site is awesome! What I have noticed is that there are a lot of forums out there and membership is somewhat limited because a lot of people tend to hang around one or two of them, but in all honesty I think this forum has the most information and suggestions as oppossed to opinions and posturing you see on other forums.
What might be nice is to have a couple of project engine buildups in real or even in virtual mode.
I like many in this current economy have found myself literally not even walking into the garage due to very little discretionary income for the hot rod but really can relate to the peanut port buildup info you posted.
Right now a lot of people are building what they have with whats available economically as opposed to just whipping out the charge card and saying.... crate engine!!....
If all of us commit to even posting on a regular basis I cant see where that will hurt, heck we might even learn something! lol....
Sleeve396

Postby enigma57 » June 16th, 2011, 2:17 am

Outstanding site, Grumpy! Really appreciate the time and effort you have put into developing and maintaining all the links and data on file here. You have helped me immensely over the years. Big thumbs up from Texas!

Best regards,

Harry
enigma57

Postby Eagle59 » July 1st, 2011, 10:20 am

First of all, the folks and the attitude here is great. I'm not a racer or drag race kind of guy, my interests run more in the classic (esp. Chevy) vein. However, I find there's plenty of room for me and my likes and dislikes.
Secondly, I am drawn to the "Lounge" type of discourse, and politics and politicians are two of my favorite subjects. That also is fair game here, and there seems to be no paucity of intellect...But we do need to get more members with opinions to visit and contribute. A "one opinion" forum may be civil and touchy-feely, but it's not very stimulating (ask me how I know). I relish a difference of opinion, but hate it when it degenerates into name calling and low brow tactics.

Lastly, though, I find the site a bit hard on the eyes. I believe the contrast could be improved, and this would help considerably. I know I have mentioned this before, but a larger, bolder ffont would help. I know I can increase the magnification myself in a couple of ways, but that causes the edges of the page to extend beyond the screen, making navigation clumsy at best.

I also realize that the easiest thing in the world to do is to criticize. I do promise, however to bring this site to the attention of friends and fellow enthusiasts in hopes that they will visit and contribute...and lastly, I intend to contribute soon in a more substantative way.
Have Wings, Will Travel
Eagle59

Postby grumpyvette » July 1st, 2011, 11:02 am

Ill have my programer look into the font thing
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Indycars » July 1st, 2011, 11:05 am

Eagle59 wrote:Lastly, though, I find the site a bit hard on the eyes. I believe the contrast could be improved, and this would help considerably. I know I have mentioned this before, but a larger, bolder font would help. I know I can increase the magnification myself in a couple of ways, but that causes the edges of the page to extend beyond the screen, making navigation clumsy at best.

To make sure everyone understand what your talking about. When you are referring to the edges of the screen
are you talking about the (RED ARROWS) or the (BLACK ARROWS) in the picture below ???

TextSizeScreenCapture01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick

Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Eagle59 » July 1st, 2011, 11:23 am

The edges of the page (black arrows) extend beyond the edges of the screen (red arrows). What I end up seeing is pretty much the middle of the page, and when adjusted, either the poster info ( left margin) or the end of the sentence (right) margin (or both) out of sight beyond the edge of the screen, to infinity and beyond.
Have Wings, Will Travel
Eagle59

Postby Indycars » July 1st, 2011, 11:37 am

Wide graphics make for hard to read text lines because they are way to long. To further illustrate I copied the text
below and inserted the 2400 pixel wide graphic, which many cameras today can take. If the person knows how, they
can reduce that size to say 800 pixels wide, which I would suggest as the widest needed in 99% of the graphics.

The title of this, part #9 of our Porting School series, is self explanatory – but why now? Why was this one not part #1? I gave this much thought when I started this series and came to the conclusion that it would be best to get, to an extent, immersed into our subject so to speak first. By introducing examples early on I felt that any ‘general rules’ that may be made from there on out would have more significance. For instance I won’t need to explain the importance of getting the port size right – you will have already seen how that effects things as shown in PS#7. Really what I am going to do here is take a breather and sum up the implications of what has been covered so far – so here goes.

As you can see, it hard to read when your eyes have to move back to the beginning of the next line. That's why
I've started putting in Hard Returns (hitting the Enter Key) to make the lines wrap, making them much shorter
and far easier to read. Just like all the BLUE text in this post. Doing this makes posting more time consuming.

So my suggestion is, to have text lines default to 80 characters in length. Eighty characters is pretty much a standard when it comes to computer text.
Hopefully that's something that can be set thru website software.

ExampleGraphic2400PixelsWide.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick

Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Indycars » July 1st, 2011, 11:46 am

Eagle59 wrote:The edges of the page (black arrows) extend beyond the edges of the screen (red arrows). What I end up seeing is pretty much the middle of the page, and when adjusted, either the poster info ( left margin) or the end of the sentence (right) margin (or both) out of sight beyond the edge of the screen, to infinity and beyond.

Kinda sounds like a problem on your end if I'm understanding your problem. Can you do a
"Print Screen", paste it into Microsoft Paint and post it showing the problem you are encountering ???
Let me know if you need help with doing a Print Screen !!!
Rick

Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Eagle59 » July 1st, 2011, 1:14 pm

Indycars wrote:
Eagle59 wrote:The edges of the page (black arrows) extend beyond the edges of the screen (red arrows). What I end up seeing is pretty much the middle of the page, and when adjusted, either the poster info ( left margin) or the end of the sentence (right) margin (or both) out of sight beyond the edge of the screen, to infinity and beyond.

Kinda sounds like a problem on your end if I'm understanding your problem. Can you do a
"Print Screen", paste it into Microsoft Paint and post it showing the problem you are encountering ???
Let me know if you need help with doing a Print Screen !!!

My ignorance is complete. I have no idea what you are talking about, nor how to accomplish it. I will tell you this, the blue text was MUCH easier to read that what I am reading and typing now. Not because it's blue, but because of it's size. The contrast could be improved. When I leave my mag. at 100%, I can see the whole screen and all of the type. It's just small, and lacking in my opinion, contrast. Can't someone out there give me a hand here? I thought this was a fairly non-tech explanation of what I thought could be an improvement.
Have Wings, Will Travel
Eagle59

Postby Indycars » July 1st, 2011, 1:42 pm

Eagle59 wrote: My ignorance is complete. I have no idea what you are talking about, nor how to accomplish it. I will tell you this, the blue text was MUCH easier to read that what I am reading and typing now. Not because it's blue, but because of it's size. The contrast could be improved. When I leave my mag. at 100%, I can see the whole screen and all of the type. It's just small, and lacking in my opinion, contrast. Can't someone out there give me a hand here? I thought this was a fairly non-tech explanation of what I thought could be an improvement.

The link below explains performing a "Print Screen", but if this is getting to be too much, that's fine. I just
didn't want to give up if you're wanting to make this better. If you save the file, then post it here so I can see
what your talking about.

Perform steps 1 thru 5, that's all that is needed here.
http://www.inksell.com/sbs1.html

The size of your text is also a function of the resolution and size of your monitor. Maybe if you lowered
your resolution setting, then the text would be more to your liking. But I agree for me the default text size
is smaller that I would like, therefore as you noticed when I post I make it bigger for everyone else reading.

What do you think, you want to call it good and move on to more interesting topic or try and make it better??? Your call.
Rick

Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Eagle59 » July 1st, 2011, 2:33 pm

I'm reminded of Mike Todd, when he came up with the idea for Todd-A-O. He said: "Just make it come out of the same hole". I'm not a computer tech, and that's clear. If it's too much, then just forget it. I thought that suggestions were welcome. Let's go on to something more interesting, like the Vagina chronicles, or the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.
Have Wings, Will Travel
Eagle59

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge