admit it most of us need more cash for projects

admit it most of us need more cash for projects

Postby grumpyvette » October 9th, 2011, 10:15 am

I don,t know about you guys but cash flow, available to be used for my acquisition of parts, tools and to further project progress , is at an all time low.
whether you want to admit it or not, easily 50% of any project progress, is based on your disposable cash flow limitations,
if you have any knowledge of work from home jobs . or jobs that need to be filled, please post as members on the site can benefit from that info, please let me and the others on the site that might find the info handy know, post a few links.
example, in my own case I got seriously injured and no longer have nearly the mobility I had when I was younger so potential employment is severely limited, any ideas to increase membership , reader or poster traffic, or increase funding for the site would be most welcome

heres a few imposable sources of either jobs or employment, PLEASE ADD MORE

http://www.indeed.com/

http://www.monster.com/
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: admit it most of us need more cash for projects

Postby Randy_W » October 9th, 2011, 10:41 am

I have great cash flow, trouble is, it's all flowing out! :mrgreen:
Randy
Don't mess with old men, we didn't get that way by being stupid!
Randy_W

Postby rbl2 » October 11th, 2011, 1:11 am

My cash is fine and I even have time for my projects. My back holds me up :(
rbl2

Postby Indycars » October 11th, 2011, 8:08 am

rbl2 wrote:My cash is fine and I even have time for my projects. My back holds me up :(

That's got to be frustrating !!! Work hard most your life, then when you get in a position to enjoy, the old body gives out !

Twelve years ago when I last drove the TBucket, I would hop onto the rear tire and just step into the car. But now I'm thinking my wife will have to let me in the only door on her side. :oops:
Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby grumpyvette » October 11th, 2011, 8:30 am

We all face problems and Im glad most of mine can be cured if I won the lotto or even if I could get this web site profitable, or just find something that I can do with my limited mobility now that Im retired.

I spend 40 years building, mostly street/strip muscle car style, engines, mostly big and small block Chevy but Pontiac, mopar and a few caddy and Buick, along the way. mostly other people's engines , and it was a rare year I didn,t build at least 4-6 engines, some years I built twice that, and I charged little more or sometimes nothing more than my true cost, to do so, as most were and are Friends and I considered it a rather serious hobby ,far more than a business, but I always had a long waiting list of projects, and people wanting my engines, to keep busy with naturally.
I learned a great deal and accumulated the required tools and skills and experience but I sure never made much money doing it nor was that ever the goal.
now keep in mind dozens, of those engines were built to produce 500-600 plus hp or more , in week end toys, so very few were nearly stock rebuild, most were street strip combos and many cars ran very respectable track numbers
now that Im older and retired, its even MORE frustrating when you have most of the tools, knowledge, and skills, to build your dream projects and can,t buy parts , due to budget limitations. yes we almost all have that problem,over the short term but when things just keep getting worse, over years, rather than better it makes you crazy.... build a dream shop, you've planed for over the last 35 years, retire and have the time to do the work, have thousands of dollars in tools and a 1/2 finished project car thats sitting for 10 years, and you can,t really do much with it,thats aggravating
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rbl2 » October 11th, 2011, 10:54 pm

No doubt we all remember when we were younger and filled with an unlimited supply of energy. Yes, Rick, it is frustrating as hell to look at my projects and know I am damned lucky if I can spend an hour a day working on them. Such is life.

I too have a shop I never imagined I would have, albeit a wood working shop. I also have a stack of exotic lumber that is chest high. Once upon a time it would have lasted only a few months and now it will last a life time. Again, such is life.

I am not at all complaining. My injury came when I was in Iraq and it could have easily been far worse, as could the amount of money I now get. Overall, I am happy. I have the house I never thought I would have, the shop I never thought I would have, and the type of antique Chevy I always dreamed of having. Except for not being able to run like I did a few years ago I'm very happy. I even found a woman who will have me for a husband despite my failing health.

No complaints on my end, not really.
rbl2

Postby Indycars » October 12th, 2011, 8:09 am

rbl2 wrote:My injury came when I was in Iraq and it could have easily been far worse, as could the amount of money I now get. Overall, I am happy. I have the house I never thought I would have, the shop I never thought I would have, and the type of antique Chevy I always dreamed of having. Except for not being able to run like I did a few years ago I'm very happy. I even found a woman who will have me for a husband despite my failing health.

Sir,

It sounds like you have every right to complain, at least some of the time !!!
Rick

Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby rbl2 » October 12th, 2011, 12:35 pm

No need to complain, no one wants to hear it. Eventually it only serves to aggravate and alienate those around me regardless of how sympathetic they may be. If I were to complain it would be about difficulty in getting people to help me around the house. I don't mean with typical house work. I mean with the heavier yard work or any work that is now beyond my limitations. Hell, I can't even pay people to get things done.

I have been known to bitch about dr's and American medicine and its outlook on injuries and cures. There are cures and forms of relief that are not practiced and used in the states.

For the record, I was in Iraq in a civilian capacity. While haliburton/KBR signed my paycheck that was all they did. They "loaned" me to the military for my entire stay, 15 months. Only when I was injured did they start to pay attention and then it was not in a positive way.

Also, I am not a "sir". I am a working man and proud of it. Thanks for the respect though.
rbl2

Postby ljfen » October 16th, 2011, 4:02 am

I'm with ya Grump. My 57 sits in the shop, covered up with no money or time to fix it the way it needs to be fixed. The engine is out of it, torn down and waiting for the money to rebuild. I'm working for a 3rd of what I used to get paid. The pension helps but we spend all of what we get each month. So when the daily drivers give out it's going to be interesting trying to fund a new one. The standard of living has fallen for the people of Michigan for the last 10 yrs or more. The more we try to get ahead the further behind we are.
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

John Adams
ljfen

Postby John » October 23rd, 2011, 9:55 pm

I've had a company car since January and just now feel comfortable selling my personal car. I'm going to use some of the funds to finish the motor for my 79 2wd K5 and the suspension/wheels/tires for my 85 M1009 K5. I wouldn't have the funds to upgrade them otherwise but am grateful I will finally be able to.
John

Postby mathd » October 24th, 2011, 7:22 am

Yeah, more cash would be welcome in my wallet :).
Still lots of things to do on the car and lots of tool to buy :/
Mathieu
mathd

Postby 2Loose » May 2nd, 2012, 3:34 pm

At this point I just need more time and more energy.
I can only do so much each day on my car/truck/bike projects before I need to spend time with the family/yard/house projects. Have accumulated most of the spendy parts I need for my projects, I just tend to take on too many projects, then they take longer than I think they should have, but I'm getting there. Also when one is "finished" then something breaks and it needs more time....
The 58 Chevy stepside is done, pro street style, 12 years ago and still running well....
The 55 Chevy stepside 4x4 spun a main bearing and the front steering developed problems, now I have to work on that, it was supposed to be done!
The 55 gasser project is essentially done, but I twisted off the front u-joint, so getting that repaired...
The 55 Sport Coupe has the motor done, the tranny needs work, the front suspension will get improved, the minitub job needs to welded up, new upholstery and paint, it will take some time, but is next on the list after the 4x4 gets repaired.
After that I have a 57 Olds hardtop, and a 70 Buick GS455 I want to at least get them running and drive them.
Then there's the two panheads, a 59 and a 61 that both need attention, lots of it....
Money isn't the problem any more really, I just wonder if I have enough years left in me to get all these done.
And money would be a problem if I took it to a shop to get things done faster, don't have money for that.....
I really enjoy working on them, and when they fire right up and run just the way I anticipated, it is always quite a thrill!!!
Aloha,
Willy
Slow Old Man = Fast Old Cars
My Do It Yourself Web Page...
2Loose

Postby BetsyRed63 » September 3rd, 2014, 11:42 pm

I had to give up my construction company because of back injuries. I work from home now doing (as I mentioned in another post) furniture restoration and upholstery, which is still hard on my body but I can rest whenever I want. The town I live in people do not pay money to restore furniture, I learned that the hard way. I sell everything online via etsy and it's rough at times. Shipping can be a nightmare. Some months are amazing and some are pathetic.
It's a shame the doctors now own my savings from 19 years of back breaking intensive labor.

If you have any special skills in making anything by hand, sell it on etsy for extra income. Fees are cheaper than ebay by a long shot. You can also sell vintage or antique items there. You just can't sell new items, or anything newer than 1994 I believe. My better half has a bridal shop on there and now makes enough to work from home as well.
https://www.etsy.com/
If anyone is interested in this, I suggest reading this handbook as well. https://blog.etsy.com/en/2013/the-seller-handbook-archive/#photography

Maybe this will help someone out with a talent in handmade goods and no clue where to sell them.
BetsyRed63

Postby Indycars » September 4th, 2014, 7:31 am

Interesting, I had never heard of Etsy before.

Rick

Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby 87vette81big » September 4th, 2014, 7:51 am

I have done well selling on ebay in the past.
Seller final fees have gone up.
Will check out ETSY.

There is only way to make $ from this Hobby today.
Build a Car & Go Drag Racing & Win.
Your Special Skills are known then at the Track.
Maybe online too.
87vette81big

Postby Strictly Attitude » September 5th, 2014, 7:14 am

I feel like ebay selling prices are rediculous paired with the paypal cost they are double tapping you
"IF YOU CAN SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!"

John J. Coffey
Strictly Attitude Custom Graphics
Strictly Attitude

Next

Return to The Lounge