making a procharger engine need and have questions

Re: making a procharger engine need and have questions

Postby mathd » June 30th, 2011, 8:54 am

DorianL wrote:Yes, if you have a roots, or a draw through, this is not a worry.

Still you gotta be a bit careful with your carb. That also needs to be boost referenced. The carb can actually "see" vacuum under the throttle plates yet the manifold is seeing boost. ====> power valve is not released ====> Lean condition ====> Ka-BOOM!

Yeah i know, i already refrenced the carb's powervalve to the intake signal :).

Here are some picture of my progress so far(still lots of work to be done), i have about 60 miles on it right now.

Sorry for topic hijacking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mathieu
mathd

Postby DorianL » June 30th, 2011, 9:55 am

Beautiful!!!!

Looks like at B&M 162. I had one of those for several years. I loved the super low-end grunt!!!! The whine was out of this world.

However that intake is extremely restrictive. If you have have anything but stock heads, you will out flow the babyblower.

When I switched over to the D1-SC, for the same boost measured at the manifold I gained around 140 ponies over the baby blower! The restrictive intake was leading to a high boost reading that the chambers were not seeing much of!

Consider this:

DorianL

Postby Indycars » June 30th, 2011, 10:24 am

mathd,

Hope you don't mind, but I thought your engine looked so nice it needed to be easier to see !

camaro2k11juin1.JPG
camaro2k11juin2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick
Too much is just enough!!!

- Check Out My Dart SHP Engine Project: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3814
- Need a Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=4458
Indycars

Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby grumpyvette » June 30th, 2011, 10:32 am

DORIANL brings up an excellence point!
too many guys just buy parts that come in kits without doing the research required to find out if the combo of components is close to ideal, or just have the ability to be bolted onto the engine and function.
most (KITS) are designed not so much for max performance , but for ease of installation,in the most applications,and to provide, max clearances in the engine compartment,and usually contain a collection of the least expensive components available that will function,
little component testing and a good deal of price shopping and a great deal of cost cutting to bring in the component package under a low market driven price ceiling is common.
many guys like the convenience of buying a known combo of components that will provide a decent level of performance improvement, but very few stop and do the research to ask themselves if thats the best or even close to the best potential combo, in this case Ive built or worked on several super-charged engines and knew that the wieand single plane DORIANL pictured far out flowed some of his other options on intakes

IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mathd » June 30th, 2011, 11:02 am

Hey, yes no problem with posting the picture :).

So far, i think this is a B&M 144 by the size. Is there somehow i can identify what model i have exactly? Seem like data for these old things are gone.
I used the spec sheet below, but i didnt measure for a 162 model(dont know why), i gotta check that tomorrow.
Am making about 5 pound of boost with a 2:1 ratio. The intake and also the heat they generate is what make the boost of these unit less efficient then say a procharger :P

Sorry for asking offtopic questions :/.
Mathieu
mathd

Postby DorianL » July 1st, 2011, 1:52 pm

144, yer right.

I was running water meth, offsetting the heat issue -acts like an intercooler. The difference was minimal. I believe it's 80% a very, very restrictive manifold... At higher RPMs
DorianL

Postby diagobd2 » April 12th, 2013, 7:59 pm

Keeping the pressure up, temp down, snappy shifts and clearances tight and to spec, are critical for these things to live. That's 95% of most failures there and that is what this 700-R4 seems to be addressing. These would acieved by: shift kits, high pressure-fast pressure rise regulators, extra wide bands, large servos, deep oil pan and perfect clearances. Some of these are covered here.

Postby DorianL » April 13th, 2013, 2:37 pm

diagobd2 wrote:Keeping the pressure up, temp down, snappy shifts and clearances tight and to spec, are critical for these things to live. That's 95% of most failures there and that is what this 700-R4 seems to be addressing. These would acieved by: shift kits, high pressure-fast pressure rise regulators, extra wide bands, large servos, deep oil pan and perfect clearances. Some of these are covered here.

Ummm, cross posted?

Previous

Return to Superchargers, Turbos, Nitrous