how fast were the old muscle cars?

Re: how fast were the old muscle cars?

Postby philly » October 29th, 2014, 7:04 pm

im sure he answered with "no, uh, and ummm" to those three questions, respectively
-phil

There's never enough money to build it right, but there's always enough to build it twice!
philly

Postby grumpyvette » October 29th, 2014, 7:06 pm

yeah! Im not sure if its senility or STUPIDITY that takes over in some guys minds ,at times when I get drawn into some car related discussions!
I rarely find a guy who owned a 289 engine in a 1965-68 mustang that did not have a 4 speed and easily cracked off low 12 second time slips with a basically stock car.
and the guys with 11 second 327 SBC ENGINES and 4 speeds in their novas back in the day that could pull the wheels for 100 feet on a launch must have been hard to beat?
Its hard not to choke or laugh outright,when you listen to this guys!
I find it especially strange when my 13.7:1 compression 496 bbc powered pontiac lemans at the time was running only in the mid to high 11 second range and I seldom had any competition. keep in mind this was back when the HEMI cuda pro-stock cars were running low 10 second times, or about 1.5 seconds faster. and I had at the time about $5000-$6000 in the engine parts and machine work, which was close to the cost of a new corvette back then
I remember most of those novas and mustangs running high 13-14 second time slips

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=898&p=3239&hilit=1965+lemans#p3239
IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"!
IF YOU CAN , YOU NEED BETTER TIRES AND YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!
grumpyvette

Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby philly » October 29th, 2014, 7:07 pm

Strictly Attitude wrote:I love it when I was selling my bike I had a kid want to trade me his so called 10 second 500hp civic. After asking him some quick questions I weeded through his BS. I don't think he understood I grew up at the track and understand what a 10 second car is and what it takes to get there. lol one of first questions I asked was did it have a cage and what psi it made 500hp at with what octane gas. So the memories of made up numbers go on generation after generation muscle car or other. LOL one of the funnest cars we had was a Honda we kept trying to blow up ran a bottle NOS right in the intake tube no switch just turn the bottle open and go allot of pissed off mustangs and comaro's that was late 90's.

that reminds me of a video... street racing tip #187 how not to spray your car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVmJ-bW7IpM

nitrous-shot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by philly on October 29th, 2014, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-phil

There's never enough money to build it right, but there's always enough to build it twice!
philly

Postby philly » October 29th, 2014, 7:08 pm

grumpyvette wrote:yeah! Im not sure if its senility or STUPIDITY that takes over in some guys minds ,at times when I get drawn into some car related discussions!
I rarely find a guy who owned a 289 engine in a 1965-68 mustang that did not have a 4 speed and easily cracked off low 12 second time slips with a basically stock car.
and the guys with 11 second 327 SBC ENGINES and 4 speeds in their novas back in the day that could pull the wheels for 100 feet on a launch must have been hard to beat?
Its hard not to choke or laugh outright,when you listen to this guys!

i guess its worse for some of you guys who were there, and drove the cars, at that time... because trying to pass off a lie to someone who wasnt around when it happened it feasible, but you were drag racing back then, and you know better... they should acknowledge that and keep the bullshit stories to a minimum
-phil

philly

Postby 87vette81big » October 29th, 2014, 7:15 pm

philly wrote:i was just talking about this with my buddy the other day... his neighbor just bought a 79 trans am with a turn key ls3 crate motor and 4L65e trans, along with some other upgrades in brakes and suspension... the car with the 430hp at the flywheel ran a 12.50 at 115 and im sure it puts down more power over a more useable rpm range than the OVERWHELMING majority of the muscle cars from way back when... which led us to the same conclusion, guys have some fond memories of shit that never actually happened. in a time where practically NO ONE was making 450hp i havent met anyone who claims their old hot rod ran slower than 12.000

Your conclusion is not entirety true Phil.
There was some there & did it.

I found 455 #3.
I want it.
Actually found 6 today.
455# 3 good for the year.
Doing ultimate SIN.
455 IN A C4 VETTE CONVERTIBLE.
87vette81big

Postby Strictly Attitude » October 29th, 2014, 7:20 pm

I like your thinking Brian
"IF YOU CAN SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!"

John J. Coffey
Strictly Attitude Custom Graphics
Strictly Attitude

Postby philly » October 29th, 2014, 7:23 pm

im sure there was brian, im no dummy. but its like grumpy said, everyone 289 mustang had a 4 speed and they were all 64 1/2 THE FIRST YEAR!! and they were all fastbacks, and they all ran 11's

not everyone had a 455 poncho, some guys had a 2 barrel 389, but when they tell the stories its always the same. "I HAD THE BIGGEST BEST SHIT YOU COULD GET, CHECKED ALL THE BOXES ON THE DEALERS ORDER FORM, when i was delivering NEWSPAPERS for a living"

"THOSE WERE THE DAYS"
-phil

philly

Postby 87vette81big » October 29th, 2014, 7:23 pm

Strictly Attitude wrote:I like your thinking Brian

It comes done to cost & I want Big Tube Headers.
Just not paying $2k for custom big tubes for a SBC right now.
Still have to hope they fit.
Rest of exhaust has to be custom bent built too.
$2k can buy & build another 455 Pontiac.
87vette81big

Postby philly » October 29th, 2014, 7:24 pm

and 455 in the vette would be awesome!
-phil

philly

Postby 87vette81big » October 29th, 2014, 7:26 pm

philly wrote:im sure there was brian, im no dummy. but its like grumpy said, everyone 289 mustang had a 4 speed and they were all 64 1/2 THE FIRST YEAR!! and they were all fastbacks, and they all ran 11's

not everyone had a 455 poncho, some guys had a 2 barrel 389, but when they tell the stories its always the same. "I HAD THE BIGGEST BEST SHIT YOU COULD GET, CHECKED ALL THE BOXES ON THE DEALERS ORDER FORM, when i was delivering NEWSPAPERS for a living"

"THOSE WERE THE DAYS"

I found a Vid on U-tube a while back.
Post shortly. Its an eye opener.
87vette81big

Postby philly » October 29th, 2014, 7:26 pm

meanwhile im trying to sell the corvette and buy a fox platform... i really want a fairmont but ill settle for an 86 mustang coupe so i can do all my old dirty tricks to and some new ones ive learned along the way and hurt peoples feelings with the little guppy v8
-phil

philly

Postby philly » October 29th, 2014, 7:30 pm

and i love when you flip thru a magazine or on a website and someone goes "oh my dad had one of those" or "i had one of those" or "my uncle had one of those" when this picture pops up...

456021-1000-0.jpg

apparently everyone in miami owned a 71 convertible cuda with a hemi at one point or another... get the fuck outta here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-phil

philly

Postby 87vette81big » October 29th, 2014, 7:32 pm

philly wrote:im sure there was brian, im no dummy. but its like grumpy said, everyone 289 mustang had a 4 speed and they were all 64 1/2 THE FIRST YEAR!! and they were all fastbacks, and they all ran 11's

"THOSE WERE THE DAYS"

I found a Vid on U-tube a while back.
Post shortly. Its an eye opener.
87vette81big

Postby Strictly Attitude » October 29th, 2014, 7:37 pm

If I wasn't already committed to sbc right now I would be going a different route wish the car market wasn't so crazy every one wants half way decent shit for nothing but selling for big bucks. To many flip that car shows on TV Gas Monkey Want to be's. But I want to tell some crazy stories to my grand kids about a twin gt3071rs 355 TT that ran on gas unlike there new hydrogen electric motor cars that out perform them at a dial of a switch and a quick discharge of the batteries. If they running that shit now in 24 hours there is some serious money going into development.
"IF YOU CAN SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR SUSPENSION NEEDS MORE WORK!!"

John J. Coffey
Strictly Attitude

Postby 87vette81big » October 29th, 2014, 7:43 pm

Strictly Attitude wrote:If I wasn't already committed to sbc right now I would be going a different route wish the car market wasn't so crazy every one wants half way decent shit for nothing but selling for big bucks. To many flip that car shows on TV Gas Monkey Want to be's. But I want to tell some crazy stories to my grand kids about a twin gt3071rs 355 TT that ran on gas unlike there new hydrogen electric motor cars that out perform them at a dial of a switch and a quick discharge of the batteries. If they running that shit now in 24 hours there is some serious money going into development.

Gasoline and racing will be around for at least 20 more years John.
87vette81big

Postby Strictly Attitude » October 29th, 2014, 7:53 pm

I know thats why I said stories to grand kids lol

John J. Coffey
Strictly Attitude

PreviousNext

Return to general muscle car related info